Blog posts: Scroll down for day by day news of our climbing and trekking teams.
18 July - We all returned safely to basecamp. All camps, gear and rubbish removed from mountain. Horses and porters arriving tomorrow for trek home!
17 July - Today was a phenomenally sunny day. We all summited! No wind, no clouds, no snow. Great day for photograpghy. Love Broad Peak!
15 July - Claire, Patric, Blake, and Mark are all safe in basecamp. Eric, Henk, Dan, Jangbu, Hasan, and Dorje are all in camp 3. Going to summit.
14 July - Mark + Blake attempted summit from camp 3 today. Now safely back in c3, and coming down tomorrow. The rest of us are in c2 and plan to mo...
12 July - Summit time! Hasan, Blake, Mark try summit tomorrow. Jangbu, Patric, Eric, Dan go to C1 tomorow. Dorje, Claire, Henk climb to C2 next day.
10 July - Rest day base camp. Delicious fresh food. Hot showers. Clean laundry. Taking sunny naps on thick mattresses. Playing cards, telling stories
9 July - Abseiled/rappeled fixed lines from c3 to bc. 7 hours. C3: ice cold dizzying thin air. Bc: warm thick air, melting glaciers, rushing rivers.
8 July - We are c3 @ 6950m. Climb lovely snow gullies, across glaciers, bergschrunds, scree ridges. C3 is snow shelf tucked under the summit massif.
7 July - High winds pin us down in camp 2. We are meeting Dani Arnold, who climbed Eiger North Face 1 hour faster than Ueli Stek. all due respect.
6 July - Altitude training on Broad Peak, in front of mighty K2. Climb to 6500m past rock pinnacles + easy snow gullies. now in warm sun @ camp 2.
5 July - Rest, acclimatization day here in camp 2. Fine weather and all day panoramic views of all karakoram. Evening lite on k2 across valley.
4 July - Perfect easy fun snow climbing to camp 2 at 6182 metres. Lovely views, a few light clouds, tiny breeze. We are healthy and acclimating well
3 July -
- A spectacular day in camp 1. Gorgeous sunshine. K2 dominates the scenery, with Pastore trekking peak and Godwin Austin glacier. Beautiful.
- We are in camp 1 at 5600m. The sun is warming us nicely, highliting sparkling views of k2, concordia, pastore peak. Good weather continues!
2 July - Everyone climbed up to camp 1 and some camp 2. Snow conditions perfect. Sunny warm day. Sherpas carrying rope, tents, food, fuel. Making...
1 July - We are in Japanese camp 1 at 5360 metres. We are up here acclimatizing. Weather mixed snow and sun. Route is in good shape, lots of snow.
30 June -
- Ice climbing training in seracs near basecamp. Our Sherpas fixed rope and we practiced ice axe, crampons, jumars, figure-8. Superb training!
- Trekkers are on their way home. They had a beautiful trek, good weather, lots of fun. Sue, Karla, Correne, Janet, Lee we miss you very much.
29 June -
- Sunny trek to K2 Base and Gilkey Memorial. Today was a very important day. Time for reflection on what it means to climb these peaks.
- Sherpa prayer ceremony in basecamp to bless our expedition. Lots of chanting, singing, dancing and feasting beneath k2 + broad peak.
- We are preparing our climbing harness, ice axe, helmet, boots, crampons. Getting all gear ready for Broad Peak, exciting!
28 June - Today we built comfortable basecamp on the spectacular broad peak moraine with K2 towering above. A few snowflakes, blue sky and sun. All...
27 June -
- We are in basecamp. Superb trek with sunny views of k2, broad peak, concordia. Is the Karakoram the world's most beautiful mountain range?
- Today we walked to a grassy slope at 4600 metres near the junction of concordia and godwin austin glacier. Good weather, all are well.
25 June -
- We are in Gore 2, 4300 metres. Everyone is ok after a sunny gorgeous trek through mountain paradise. Today was best day of our trek so far!
- Evening rainfall in Urdukas. Now walking on sunny Baltoro glacier. 360 degree views of huge mountains. Amazing trek. Everyone healthy!
24 June -
- We are in Urdukas camp today at 4000m. Stunning views of the Trango group. All members well, excited to climb Broad Peak and trek to K2 basecamp
- Across the glacier on horse trails to 2 big beautiful lakes. Shoes off for short river crossing and now we reached our comfortable camp.
23 June -
- First steps on massive Baltoro glacier. Breathtaking views of Great Trango, Uli Biaho, Cathedral Peak.
- Beautiful rest day in Paiju. Delicious meals, laundry, showers, naps. Porters performed song and dance, beneath Trango.
Paiju Peak. Roaming round.
22 June - Rest Paiju. Our Dr Lee examines patients. A porter has trigger finger tendonitis. Must go Skardu
21 June - Walk to Paiju camp. Amazing views of Trango Tower. Excellent weather. Everyone feeling well.
Amazing views of Trango Tower valley.
20 June -
K2 river to Jola camp.
- We trekked up the K2 river to Jola camp. Sunny with a few showers. We found garnets
- Karla + Sue are teachers at home. We visited the Askole school, they made a generous donation!
19 June -
Trekkers are at Askole village.
- Thanks to 2018 K2 trekkers, 2018 Broad Peak, and 2018 K2 expedition, we resupplied the Askole health clinic.
- Entered K2 national park. Bumpy roads. Good jeeps + drivers. Ate fresh cherries+mulberries. Camping at Askole.
- We are going to Askole in AM
18 June - The Sherpas and our guide Mr. Baig and all of our luggage finally arrived in Skardu at 5am. It was a tough road journey for them, as there is a lot of road construction, so many delays. At one point a rock rolled off of a freshly blasted slope onto the roof of their van. Scary. We checked members gear and repacked our group equipment. Some members went to explore Kachura Lake and see the stone carving of the Buddha. In the afternoon we watched an exciting polo match, complete with live band. It was a wild game of "freestyle" polo with 6 riders/ponies per side and few if any rules. In the evening, we met at the office to meet a Balti climber who is going to join our team as a high altitude worker. His name is Mahmet Husain and he has climbed Broad Peak twice.
17 June - Today we had a delicious breakfast, then jeeped to the Deosai Plains at 4000 metres. There are still extensive patches of snow up there. Beautiful and good acclimatization. In the afternoon we explored the bazaar.
16 July - All of our members for BroadPeakClimb.com and K2Trekking.com have arrived safely and we flew to Skardu in good weather. We had majestic views of Mount Nanga Parbat along the way. Upon reaching Skardu we transferred to our lovely hotel with beautiful views across the Skardu Valley. Lots of snow on the peaks around here. After a delicious lunch we had a good wander around town, through the bazaar, and explored. Dinner was plentiful and we retired early, for much needed sleep after lots of travelling. We are finally here!
Broad Peak Team Roster:
- Dan Mazur (Leader), UK/USA
- Erik Z.
- Claire S.
- Blake T.
- Mark A.
- Henk W.
- Patric G.
- Karla P.
- Sue D.
- Janet L.
- Lee L.
- Correne C.
Climbing Sherpa Team:
- Jangbu Sherpa (20 summits of Everest)
- AngDorjee Sherpa (6 summits of Everest)