K2 Base Camp Trek
K2 Base Camp Trek
Dates: 21 June to 15 July & 5 August to 29 August and 2023 and 2024 (25 days) Add on extra days, itinerary changes, and choose your own custom dates.
Full Service Cost: $5,150, £3,850, €5,150(Price fixed in $USD. £GBP and €EUR price for convenience only, converted 01 January)
K2 is the second highest mountain, and is thought by many to be the best base camp trek in the world. The trek offers an optional finish over the spectacular Gondogoro-La pass.
Trek leader Dan Mazur has been to K2 basecamp 8 times and is a K2 summiter, placing the first living Briton and first Americans on the Summit.
Recent News: Please Click here to view news of our successful K2 base camp trek.
K2 is the ultimate trekker’s high! Expert leader, Dan Mazur has led multiple K2 and Everest expeditions successfully to basecamp and beyond. Be part of the select few to walk on the roof of the world. Trek on a less traveled circuit among the 8000 metre ‘Giants’ of the Karakorum. Trip includes internal flights/transportation, food, accommodations, staff, and group equipment
Check out this amazing video
Our full-service expedition includes:
- Expert British, American, and European leader/coordinator
- All internal / domestic flights buses, jeeps, porters
- 25 Kg (55 lbs) per member transport for personal baggage
- Three meals per day on trek, in basecamp, and on the mountain
- All permit fees and liaison officers
- Group, emergency equipment, satellite phone
- Shared tents in basecamp (Single tents can be supplied for a small additional fee)
- Full base camp with dinning tents, showers, bathroom, and solar charger
- Two nights stay in Islamabad hotel on arrival and two nights prior to departure in a double room. Private rooms are available for a small additional fee
What is not included?
- International flights to Islamabad and back to your home country
- Trekking rescue and travel insurance
- Personal climbing and trekking equipment and clothing
- Pakistan visa
- Day 1 - Arrive Islamabad. Meet our staff at airport. They will bring you to the hotel.
- Day 2 - Guided sightseeing and shopping in Islamabad (508 metres / 1,667 ft.).
- Day 3 - Fly to Skardu, transfer to Skardu hotel.
- Day 4 - Skardu sightseeing. Hotel. (2,230 metres / 7,316 feet)
- Day 5 - Skardu - Briefing at Department of Tourism. Final preparations. Hotel.
- Day 6 - Drive by Jeep to Askole, a lovely little farming village. Camp. (3,039 metres / 9,970 feet).
- Day 7 - Trek to Jhola. (3,170 metres / 10,400 feet). We enter Karakoram National Park and trek past a slope filled with garnets and cross a lovely bridge.
- Day 8 - Trek to Paiyu. (3,666 metres / 12,028 feet). Trek to this famous forest in the Baltoro Valley.
- Day 9 - Rest Day in Paiyu. On this day, porters will bake all of their bread for the upcoming trek.
- Day 10 - Trek to Khuburtse. (3,800 metres / 12,467 feet). a fabulous campsite near a lake on the edge of the Baltoro Glacier.
- Day 11 - Trek to Urdukas. (3,950 metres / 12,959 feet). Camp amongst grass and lovely giant boulders, with amazing views of the Great Trango Towers.
- Day 12 - Goro II. (4,300 metres / 14,108 feet). Camp on the flat stones on the surface of the Baltoro Glacier with lovely views of the mightiest peaks all around, like Masherbrum, Cathedral, etcetera.
- Day 13 - Concordia. (4,550 metres / 14,928 feet). Concordia must be the most famous campsite in all the Karkakoram. Incredible views of K2, Mitre Peak, Gasherbrum 4, and many more.
- Day 14 - Walk to Broad Peak base camp (4,850 metres / 15,908 ft.) and camp on the Godwin Austen Glacier.
- Day 15 - Walk up to K2 base camp and visit the Gilkey Memorial. Return to Concordia.
- Day 16 - Follow the Upper Baltoro Glacier to Ali Camp (4,800 metres/15,748 ft.)
- Day 17 - Cross the Gondogoro La (5,585 metres / 18,323 ft.). Descend to Huisprung (4,600 metres / 15,088 ft.). Camp near a lovely lake.
- Day 18 - Trek down the Gondogoro Valley to Saitcho (3,350 metres / 10,991 ft.)
- Day 19 - Last day of trekking to Hushe Village (3,050 metres / 10,0007ft.). Drive beside the Hushe River and follow the Shyock and Indus rivers to Skardu (2,230 metres / 7,316 ft.).
- Day 20 - De-briefing at Tourism Department. Showers, laundry, shopping. Hotel
- Day 21 - Islamabad / Chilas. Hotel
- Day 22 - Final paperwork, shopping, farewell dinner in Islamabad. Hotel
- Day 23 - Fly Home.
- Day 24 - Reserve day in case of weather.
- Day 25 - Reserve day in case of weather.
Sherpas: We employ some of Nepal, Tibet, and the Karakorum’s best local mountaineers and Sherpas to assist team members in realizing their summit goals. Our friendly and loyal high altitude climbing staff has supported teams to the summits of more than ten of the highest peaks in the Himalaya.
- Cotton t-shirt
- Cotton long sleeved shirt;
- Polypropylene light weight thermal long sleeved shirt
- Fleece jacket
- Wind/waterproof jacket with hood
- Umbrella (optional)
- Pair of light weight liner gloves
- Pair of medium to heavy weight waterproof/windproof gloves
- Sun hat
- Head scarf or buff
- Fleece balaclava or very warm hat
- Head torch with extra batteries
- 2-3 pair cotton underwear briefs
- Walking shorts
- Long trousers
- Polypropylene light weight thermal leggings
- Fleece/pile trousers
- Wind/waterproof trousers
- 2 pair cotton socks
- Sandals for use in hotel
- 2 pair medium weightwool socks
- Sturdy, leather trekking boots with good ankle support (broken-in please)
- Lightweight running shoes/trainers for trekking on flat, easy trails
- Sleeping bag rated to -18 C or 0 F
- At least 1 closed cell foam kari-mats and/or in high quality inflatable sleeping pad (optional). Most of the tea houses we stay in have nice soft mattresses to sleep on.
Rucksack and Travel Bags
- Medium backpack (40-60 liters, can be used for carry on luggage)
- Waterproof rucksack cover (optional);
- Large expedition duffle bag with lock (100+ liters for checked bag)
- Tooth brush and tooth paste
- Bar of soap
- 1 small towel
- Female or male hygiene supplies
- Face Mask
- Hand sanitiser
- Disposable gloves
- Disinfectant wipes
- Bottle of water-treatment tablets
- 2 tubes lip sun cream (minimum 15 SPF)
- 1 tube skin sun cream (minimum 30 SPF)
- Anti-mosquito cream
- Blister repair kit
- Bottle anti-diarrhea pills
- Bottle anti-headache pills
- Bottle cough and/or cold medicine
- Bottle anti-altitude sickness pills: Diamox, Acetylzolamide
- Snack / daily cold energy food: 2 kilos/4.4 pounds, is a good amount.
- Small roll of repair tape
- Sewing repair kit
- Cigarette lighter, 1 small box matches
- Compass or GPS
- Battery powered alarm clock/watch
- Camera with extra cards and extra batteries
- Nylon stuff sacks for food and gear storage
- Two 1 litre water bottles
- Plastic cup and spoon
- Small folding knife
- Binoculars (optional)
- 4 large, waterproof, disposable rubbish sacks
- Passport, 2 extra passport photos, flight ticket, flight itinerary
- Separate photocopies of passport, relevant visa pages, and proof of insurance
- Dollars, pounds or euros cash
- Bank/ATM/Cash and credit cards
- Bathing suit/swimming costume (you never know)
- Paperback books, playing cards, iPod/mp3 player, musical instruments, ear plugs, lots of batteries, etc.
- Travel clothes for basecamp and in town
- Light weight mountaineering ice axe with wrist leash
- Crampons (must fit boots perfectly)
- 2 Safety Slings (each 1 metre of 6 mm UIAA rated accessory cord)
- 1 Large Locking Carabiner
- 1 Normal Size Locking Carabiner
- 1 Standard Size Non-Locking Carabiner
- 1 Figure 8 Belay Device
We provide a plethora of top-quality, and time-tested equipment, group gear, and supplies, including: trekking tents; cookers, fuel, etcetera.
Please fill out an application and return it to us with your refundable ten-percent deposit to hold your place on the team.
- K2 Trekking for World Team Members (UK Office) : PDF Form or MS Word Doc
- K2 Trekking for US Team Members (US Office) : PDF Form or MS Word Doc
In addition to your application, we will need the following at least two months before the trip begins:
- Completed Payment
- Oxygen order (if any)
- Sherpa order (if any)
- Trip Registration form
- 1 Passport sized photo
- A scan of your passport identification pages
- Complete flight itinerary
- Proof of travel, accident, and repatriation insurance. We strongly recommend Global Rescue, with at least $50,000 worth of helicopter rescue insurance.
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance is recommended
Please contact us with any questions you may have.
Comment from Lee: It was a great trip and beautiful. There were 5 trekkers. The leaders, guides, and the other staff were available to help the trekkers. This was very nice because often the trekkers needed help. Some people might consider this to be labor intensive, having to watch over people. Your team did it well. Thanks Again, - Lee