On the drive to basecamp we stay in rustic "hotels", at the organizers expense, so you do not have to pay. In Tibet, all hotels are government property and we are not allowed to choose one hotel over another. The "hotels" are rather austere. Rooms are generally shared, and the accommodations are very primitive. Most towns in Tibet have no plumbing. Here is some text from the Everest itinerary page :
Driving to Basecamp:
4) Bus to Tibet; drive to Nyalam (3,750 meters). Hotel and meals at organizer's expense.
5) Rest in Nyalam (3,750 meters). Walk around the local hills. Hotel.
6) Bus to Tingri (4,342 meters). Hotel.
7) Rest in Tingri. Explore surrounding hills.
8) Drive to Chinese Basecamp (5200meters). Camp.