It's not necessary to be in perfect shape to enjoy this school. If you can have fun walking for 3-6 hours with a few 20 minute breaks mixed in, then you can easily accomplish this course.
- If you are in good shape from regular exercise, it is likely you are already prepared to enjoy this course. If you feel like it would be in you interest to exercise before the trip, there are some fun training tips below.
- In the beginning, to see how you handle the training, and to avoid muscle strains that could slow your training down, you may wish to use shorter more frequent but less taxing workouts, and take more rest. After you get "up to speed" as it were, you could increase the rigour. Older walkers, please take note of the latter. Also remember that swimming is a fun and excellent form of training because it does not put stress upon your joints. Thank you.
- In order to train well for your trip you should work toward excercising a few times a week for about 30 minutes each time.
- Adequate rest and a well balanced diet are also essential to avoid injury and illness before the trip. You should sleep at least 8 hours per night, and eat 3 nutritious meals a day. Don't forget that you will perspire when you train, so try to drink lots of water.
- Utilising both gym equipment and the great outdoors will provide more balanced exercise. You should try to accomplish at least half of your workouts outside. This could include walking, running, and cycling, but above all should be fun! Hillwalking with a pack weighing 5-10 Kilos/10-20 pounds is good preparation for trekking.
- Remember that, above all, trekking is fun and you should always enjoy yourself.