12 October to 14 November
"Click Here" for information about our upcoming Baruntse Expedition"
Ascent of Baruntse. Photo: Niels Kammerer
Baruntse summit . Mera Peak summit. Photo: Niels Kammerer
High camp 2 on ascent of Baruntse 6400 meters / 20950 foot. Mount Makalu 8485 meter from high camp 1 Baruntse. Photo: Niels Kammerer.
Gordon at the summit of Baruntse. Gordon and Michael at the Mera La. Photo Gordon Larsen
Member and Sherpa are on the summit of baruntse summit. Baruntse summit ridge. Photo Gordon Larsen
Gordon and Jangbu belay down from summit of baruntse. photo Gordon. Gordon and Jangbu belay down from summit of Baruntse. Photo Gordon Larsen.
20 Nov - Update from Gordon - Gordon is trying for the summit tonight at 1:00 am. Its a bit windy in the high camp right now. Our thoughts and prayers are with the team. Godspeed!!!
19 Nov - Update from Gordon - At Camp 1. Gordon and two sherpas. Mike stay at basecamp. Good Weather.
18 Nov - Update from Mike and Gordon - Starting summit attempt in the AM. Will go to Camp 1 tomorrow night.
16 Nov - Update from Mike and Gordon - At Camp 1. All are well. Go to Camp 2 in AM then back to Base camp for a rest.
Lhotse wall at sunset with Everest on the left side. High camp 1 on ascent of Baruntse 6100 meter / 20, 000 foot. Photo: Niels Kammerer
Yak and lhotse wall. Lukla airport gateway to Everest. Photo: Niels Kammerer
14 Nov - Mike had a couple of challenging nights with tossing and turning sleep, then he felt better, so Jangbu and the Sherpas climbed together with Gordon and Mike over the Amphu Labtsa Pass and now they are in Baruntse Basecamp. Let the climb begin!
Kurt and Jangbu are on the Summit. A view of the Baruntse summit ridge heading up towards the summit cone at 6950 metres / 23,000 feet. Photo Kurt Blair.
Baruntse Team member reaching camp 2 before summit. Climbers on the way to Summit of Baruntse. Photo Kurt Blair.
Cross Amphu Labtsa pass to to Chukkung. Descending down from Summit of Barunste with the help of Fixed rope. Photo Kurt Blair.
Glacier lake surround by himalayas from Baruntse Basecamp. Photo Steve
View from decending down from the mountain. Photo Kurt Blair. Ice training climb near Baruntse basecamp. Photo Steve
team at baruntse basecamp. Trekking through the Hongku Valley at 4700 metres/15,400 feet. Photo Steve
Hike to base of Amphu Labtsa pass. Crossing Amphu. Photo Kurt Blair.
Desending down from Amphu Lapcha Pass. Photo Kurt Blair. Sherpas and membems are on the summit of Baruntse. Photo Kurt Blair
9 Nov - 1st Baruntse team celebrate summit success with chocolate cake, capuccino, and hot showers. Welcome 2nd Baruntse group: Mike & Gordon!
7 Nov - CROSS AMPHU PASS: CLIMB GLACIER ICE TERRACE WEDDING CAKE. DESCEND LOOSE ROCK CLIFFS, ABSEIL RAPPEL. PORTERS LOWERING - MISS U PATRICK.
6 Nov - Camp at Amphu pass. Now perched between pristine rare Hongku Valley and lush Everest Khumbu Valley. Choco cake + capuccino here we come!
View from the summit of Baruntse. Expedition Leader Dan Mazur abseiling at 7000 m / 23,000 ft on Baruntse South Ridge, 4 Nov, 2016, 2:30 pm, after successful ascent. Below Dan is the Barun Valley. Photo by Patrick Kabouw.
From Camp 2 to Summit Baruntse. Using fixed rope at the rocky section of Baruntse. Photo Patrick Kabouw
Climber climbing up to higher camp. Sherpas fixed rope all the way to top of Baruntse. Photo Patrick Kabouw
- "When you reach the top you are only half way." Returned camp 2, in time for lovely sunset. 11 hour ascent to summit, 4 hour descent
- Summit Baruntse now. Many hugs and hand shakes. Amazing views of Everest. The weather is perfect. The Sherpas made a brilliant route
- Its midnight. Time to head for the summit. A few cups of tea and we will be ready to go. its a starry sky with no wind. Wish us luck!
2 Nov - Sherpas fix rope to 7000m/23,000ft on Baruntse summit ridge. Members sleep camp 1. Weather stable sunny. Tomorrow night summit push.
1 Nov - Rapid descent: all members, two Sherpas, camp 2 to basecamp. Members dine & shower, wait summit. Our 3 Sherpas now fix rope to summit.
31 Oct - Climbed to 6450m/21,285ft for acclimatisation. Snow conditions are perfect. Weather seems cooperative: no wind, no cloud, warm sun.
30 Oct -
- Cozy tents atop West Col. Fun fixed rope climb up to 6050m/20,000ft. Incredible views of Makalu + 12 unclimbed peaks. Yummy dinner!
- Now packing bags for 1st trip up Baruntse. We plan to sleep @ West Col, camp 1, visit camp 2, then return to basecamp. Sun, no wind!
Puja at baruntse basecamp. Photo Steve. Sherpa Dance in Basecamp after puja. Photo Steve
27 Oct - Sunny and warm here in basecamp. Sherpas fixed 260m/858ft of rope to top of West Col. Our cooks prepared 3 delicious meals. Even pie!
26 Oct -
- Mt Baruntse basecamp bathed in sunshine @ 5400m/17,800ft. Resting in our individual sleeping tents: good view of Ama Dablam summit.
- Setho Pokhari @ 5000m/16,500ft is most beautiful day of Baruntse Climbing Expedition Trek. Everest, Lhotse. So many peaks all round
Panaromic view from Mera Peak Summit. Photo Caroline Wergeland
24 Oct - We are on the summit! Can you believe it? And...Everyone summited, 100 percent success, all members, all Sherpas. Sunny day no wind!
Near Summit of Mera Peak. Yahoo Team Summit. Photo Caroline Wergeland
Descent to Kongma Dingma Village @ 4700m/15,500ft in Hongku Valley. Carolyn, Sean, Jangbu and Pemba returned to Kare. We miss you!
Caroline enjoying High camp at Mera Peak. Team ready go summit. Photo Caroline Wergeland
23 Oct - Mera high camp 5800m/19,000ft. Sunny no wind. Camped below towering cliffs. We set off for summit @ midnight. Bad weather forecast!
Sean at High camp mera. Stephen and Dan climbing up to High Camp. Photo S Kirkwood.
Jangbu and Caroline ready for climb. Rope training before Mera Peak climb. Photo Caroline Wergeland
21 Oct - In Kare Village 5000m / 16,500ft. Walked under Mera N Wall. Saw where lake Sabai burst dam, filling valley w/ boulders. Terrifying
Merala Baruntse Mera climbing trek. Neil and Stephen near camp site in beautiful day. Photo S Kirkwood.
19 Oct - Rest day in Tagnag. Team made acclimatization walk to 4750m / 15,675ft. Beautiful views of Mera through swirling clouds; blue sky.
Sunset and rest time. One of the Stronge Poter carry bags during Baruntse Expedition. Photo Caroline Wergeland
- Following mighty Hinku River to Tagnag Village @ 4100m/13,700ft. Saw massive Lammergeier bird hunting sky. Visited 2 temples: Lucky!
- Walked down through the lushest forest to the raging Hingku River, and then following it upstream to Kote Village at 3500m/11,500ft.
Tea house for rest. Trek across the Zetra La pass. Photo S Kirkwood.
Caroline at Suspension Bridge. Kothey Tashi Ongma at 3500 metres-11,500 feet. Photo Caroline Wergeland
- Walk through rhododendron to Karki Teng at 4000m / 13,200ft. Saw a herd of wild Himalayan Tahr sheep. Morning sunny. Now foggy.
- We trekked from Lukla - Chutanga @ 3200m / 10500ft through misty jungle with cicadas and birds. Clear morning dawn over Mount Numbur.
- Harrowing cloudy Lukla flight. World's most dangerous airport closed after we landed. All members, Sherpas, and bags arrived safely.
- We are in the airport now waiting for the flight to Lukla. Very Exciting!!
Boudhanath Stupa in reconstruction after Nepal Earth Quake. Buddhist Pray room near Boudhanath. Photo Caroline Wergeland
Caroline Wergeland visiting Monkey Temple. Feeding the Pigeon. Photo Caroline Wergeland
- Dan Mazur (Leader)- UK/USA
- Kurt B.- USA
- Gordon L. - USA
- Patrick K. - Austria
- Kirkwood S. - Australian
- John R. - Australian
- Michael A.- USA
- Niels K. - German