Photo: Sue DeArmon
Congratulations to the K2 Base Camp Trekkers. What a fantastic trek! a big thank you to all of the family, friends, colleagues, and sponsors who supported them
We look forward to seeing you on next year's K2SummitClimb.com , GasherbrumClimb.com , K2Trekking.com , and BroadPeakClimb.com and also for Cho Oyu, Lhotse, Everest Tibet, Everest Nepal, K2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum 1, and Gasherbrum 2.
Blog posts: Scroll down for day by day news of our climbing and trekking teams.
Photo: Sue DeArmon
30 June -
- Ice climbing training in seracs near basecamp. Our Sherpas fixed rope and we practiced ice axe, crampons, jumars, figure-8. Superb training!
- Trekkers are on their way home. They had a beautiful trek, good weather, lots of fun. Sue, Karla, Correne, Janet, Lee we miss you very much.
Sues Tent. Walking Through Concordia. Photo: Sue DeArmon
On Their Way To K2. Walking Among The Karakoram. Photo: Sue DeArmon
Bobs Prayer Flags On K2. Weaving Through The Ice. Photo: Sue DeArmon
29 June -
- Sunny trek to K2 Base and Gilkey Memorial. Today was a very important day. Time for reflection on what it means to climb these peaks.
- Sherpa prayer ceremony in basecamp to bless our expedition. Lots of chanting, singing, dancing and feasting beneath k2 + broad peak.
- We are preparing our climbing harness, ice axe, helmet, boots, crampons. Getting all gear ready for Broad Peak, exciting!
Jangbu Leading Us Over Glacier. Photo: Sue DeArmon
28 June - Today we built comfortable basecamp on the spectacular broad peak moraine with K2 towering above. A few snowflakes, blue sky and sun. All...
Moon Over Broad Peak. Our Route To Base Camp. Photo: Sue DeArmon
Broad Peak Twelth Highest Peak. Karakoram Glacial Pool. Photo: Sue DeArmon
Gasherbrum 1. Photo: Sue DeArmon
Iqbal And Sajid Greeting Claire. Balti Drummer. Photo: Sue DeArmon
27 June -
- We are in basecamp. Superb trek with sunny views of k2, broad peak, concordia. Is the Karakoram the world's most beautiful mountain range?
- Today we walked to a grassy slope at 4600 metres near the junction of concordia and godwin austin glacier. Good weather, all are well.
Janbu Helping Karla Cross. JangBu And The Karakoram. Photo: Sue DeArmon
25 June -
- We are in Gore 2, 4300 metres. Everyone is ok after a sunny gorgeous trek through mountain paradise. Today was best day of our trek so far!
- Evening rainfall in Urdukas. Now walking on sunny Baltoro glacier. 360 degree views of huge mountains. Amazing trek. Everyone healthy!
Evening Light. Evening Light At Urdukas Camp. Photo: Sue DeArmon
Ice Ship And K2. Incoming Storm Over Concordia. Photo: Sue DeArmon
24 June -
- We are in Urdukas camp today at 4000m. Stunning views of the Trango group. All members well, excited to climb Broad Peak and trek to K2 basecamp
- Across the glacier on horse trails to 2 big beautiful lakes. Shoes off for short river crossing and now we reached our comfortable camp.
Trango Castle Cathedral Lobsang. Photo: Sue DeArmon
23 June -
- First steps on massive Baltoro glacier. Breathtaking views of Great Trango, Uli Biaho, Cathedral Peak.
- Beautiful rest day in Paiju. Delicious meals, laundry, showers, naps. Porters performed song and dance, beneath Trango.
Paiju Peak. Roaming round. Photo: Sue DeArmon
22 June - Rest Paiju. Our Dr Lee examines patients. A porter has trigger finger tendonitis. Must go Skardu
21 June - Walk to Paiju camp. Amazing views of Trango Tower. Excellent weather. Everyone feeling well.
Amazing views of Trango Tower valley. Photo: Sue DeArmon
20 June -
K2 river to Jola camp. Photo: Sue DeArmon
- We trekked up the K2 river to Jola camp. Sunny with a few showers. We found garnets
- Karla + Sue are teachers at home. We visited the Askole school, they made a generous donation!
19 June -
Trekkers are at Askole village. Photo: Sue DeArmon
- Askole Medical Clinic Update: Thanks to 2018 K2 trekkers, 2018 Broad Peak, and 2018 K2 expedition, we resupplied the Askole health clinic.
Askole Medical Clinic Update
- Entered K2 national park. Bumpy roads. Good jeeps + drivers. Ate fresh cherries+mulberries. Camping at Askole.
- We are going to Askole in AM
18 June - The Sherpas and our guide Mr. Baig and all of our luggage finally arrived in Skardu at 5am. It was a tough road journey for them, as there is a lot of road construction, so many delays. At one point a rock rolled off of a freshly blasted slope onto the roof of their van. Scary. We checked members gear and repacked our group equipment. Some members went to explore Kachura Lake and see the stone carving of the Buddha. In the afternoon we watched an exciting polo match, complete with live band. It was a wild game of "freestyle" polo with 6 riders/ponies per side and few if any rules. In the evening, we met at the office to meet a Balti climber who is going to join our team as a high altitude worker. His name is Mahmet Husain and he has climbed Broad Peak twice.
Tents At Paiju Camp. Suspension Bridge Crossing. Photo: Sue DeArmon
17 June - Today we had a delicious breakfast, then jeeped to the Deosai Plains at 4000 metres. There are still extensive patches of snow up there. Beautiful and good acclimatization. In the afternoon we explored the bazaar.
16 July - All of our members for BroadPeakClimb.com and K2Trekking.com have arrived safely and we flew to Skardu in good weather. We had majestic views of Mount Nanga Parbat along the way. Upon reaching Skardu we transferred to our lovely hotel with beautiful views across the Skardu Valley. Lots of snow on the peaks around here. After a delicious lunch we had a good wander around town, through the bazaar, and explored. Dinner was plentiful and we retired early, for much needed sleep after lots of travelling. We are finally here!
- Dan Mazur (Leader), UK/USA
- Karla P.
- Sue D.
- Janet L.
- Lee L.
Climbing Sherpa Team:
- Jangbu Sherpa (20 summits of Everest)
- AngDorjee Sherpa (6 summits of Everest)