- Ama Dablam: most famous Himalayan rock, ice, snow climb. Moderately technical, very climbable.
- Easy, fun solid rock & mixed climbing. Safe fixed ropes. Perfect for beginner, novice & expert climbers.
- Located just 7 km / 12 miles from Everest, with stunning views from the summit.
- Full Service Cost: $5550, £3450, €4050; Basic Climb Cost: $2450, £1550, €1850.
- 10 Oct. to 7 Nov. (29 days). 2014, 2015. Or, Extended dates available: 1 Nov. to 29 Nov. 2014, 2015
- Good granite scrambling. Only one pitch is 12 m / 40 ft of UIAA French 4, British Severe, USA 5.6, Aus 14.
- Leader: Max Kausch , 4 Succesful Ama expeditions, friendly, a good teacher, technically accomplished.
- We review skills, train for rock and ice climbing & conduct fixed rope training on cliffs around basecamp.
- Average team size is 6. During 9 prior climbs we put 45 members and 30 Sherpas on the summit.
- Full service expedition: British, American, or European leader, Sherpas, hotels, internal flights, yaks, porters, ropes, tasty meals on trek, in basecamp & high camp, group climbing equipment, individual tents, radios, international calls, news updates.
- Ama Dablam could qualify you for Cho Oyu, Lhotse, Everest Tibet or Everest Nepal.
- We help you buy and rent / hire inexpensive climbing and trekking gear, equipment, clothing & boots at affordable cheap prices.
- Short walk to grassy base camp at 4,500 m / 14,500 ft on snow-free paths through Khumbu valley. Green terraced villages, rushing rivers, lush forests, stay in `teahouses', camp beneath towering peaks.
Please read down for more info: Click one of the links below to view that section of our introductory information or just scroll down. (photo right by Dan Mazur: The SW Ridge route up Ama Dablam with all 3 high camps marked).
- Programme description:
- Introduction: Our expedition offers an opportunity to climb this challenging semi-technical rock-ice-snow climb, technical but accomplishible, with an experienced team, at an affordable price. We have organized nine previous expeditions to Ama Dablam (6,812 metres/22,349 feet), so our leaders and staff are very familiar with the climb.
- Our proposed schedule allows for a careful and safe ascent, as well as multiple full descents to basecamp.
- The style of climbing is cautious and well-timed, with excellent leadership, organization, Sherpa climbers, `walkie-talkie` radios, satellite telephones, cooks and waiters, tasty food, the best equipment, individual tents for each member in basecamp, a full kitchen in basecamp, advanced basecamp (ABC) and in camp 1, two camps on the mountain, 1000s of metres of fixed line, hundreds of rock, ice and snow anchors, top-quality high altitude tents and high altitude stoves, expedition mix gas, and full safety equipment: medical oxygen, gamow bag, and extensive medical kit (Gyelje Sherpa in the lower part of the grey tower. Checkout camp two on top of the yellow tower in the lower left. photo right by Maaike Braat. ).
- Our expedition features one of the most beautiful treks in the world included in the cost.
- Ama Dablam could qualify you for Cho Oyu, Lhotse, Everest Tibet or Everest Nepal.
- This expedition maximizes experience gained over 9 prior Ama Dablam expeditions with a strong record of reaching the top of our world`s highest peaks. In addition to more than 25 Himalayan expeditions we have an intimate knowledge of the Nepalese officials who regulate the permit system, liaison officers, sherpas, cooks, yak drivers, and hoteliers/restaurateurs.
- Leader and staff: In Kathmandu, during the trek, in basecamp and ABC, and on the climb, our experienced staff is with you all of the way. Our helpful climbing sherpas are some of the best. They are real high-altitude star-performers and very friendly. Our western leader is a highly experienced, friendly, and well-organized professional with multiple ascents of Ama Dablam. Skillful basecamp, ABC and camp 1 cooks prepare delicious, fresh, tasty food and hot drinks at least 3 times a day.
- On trek: Our western leader, together with friendly and helpful sherpas, cooks and local people leading yak caravans carry all of your personal equipment, group equipment, and set up camp each day, prepare and serve delicious meals, so you can relax and enjoy the trek. You do not need to carry a heavy rucksack during the trek (photo right by Tom Lannamann: Two friends from DAV Summit Club on a granite step we traverse just before climbing into the couloir on the grey tower).
- Our comfortable basecamp: Our cooks and waiters will serve you delicious meals in our dining tents.
- On the mountain: Our western leader and group sherpas will fix the route and set up high camps, as well as carry group equipment, such as tents, stoves, etc. If you wish to help out, we welcome you to do so, otherwise just relax and focus on getting well acclimated and achieving your goals. You do not need to carry a heavy rucksack during the climb.
- Sherpas: We have many group sherpas to help the team. For an additional expense, we can also provide personal sherpas and climbing-guides to individual members who wish to have their own private sherpa. We now encourage members who wish to have a lighter rucksack to hire a 1/4 of a sherpa to help with high altitude equipment transport, carrying your extra weight both up and down the mountain. Back to Top
- Everest National Park: The park covers an area of 1148 square kilometres in the Khumbu region of Nepal. This includes Mt. Everest and several other well known peaks such as Lhotse, Pumori, Island Peak , and Ama Dablam. The surrounding area is a `world biosphere reserve`. Since 1976 the park has served to safeguard unique cultural, physical and scientific values through sound conservation principles. Vegetation in the park varies from oak, pine and hemlock forests at lower altitudes to fir, juniper, birch and rhododendron woods at mid-elevations. Scrub and alpine plant communities with bare rock and glacier are found above the tree line. 22 species of rhododendron bloom during the spring (April and May) and much of the flora is colourful throughout the year. Wild animals most likely to be seen in the park are Himalayan tahr, goral, serow, musk deer, and well over 100 different bird species (photo right by http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/420.htm: The Himalayan Tahr can grow to a metre high and weigh upwards of 100 kg).
- Trek to basecamp: This is one of the most beautiful treks in the world with ancient snow-free paths winding past green terraced villages, rushing streams crossed on swinging bridges and each night a comfortable `teahouse` or a good tent pitched in a quiet pasture beneath the highest peaks in the world. Throughout the trek we eat delicious meals prepared by our skillful cooks. The trek will be moderately paced, allowing plenty of time for acclimatization, rest and site-seeing. Together we retrace the classic "Everest Approach March" made by Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa. The trek winds through some of the most spectacular mountain scenery on earth, where you can relax in exotic, friendly Sherpa villages. Our trusty yaks and porters carry all of your baggage, so you don`t have to carry a heavy rucksack. Basecamp is located at 4650 metres/15,300 feet.
Basecamp: Features your own private sleeping tent that will be all your own, not needing to be shared with anyone. We have comfortable dining tents with tables and chairs where our cooks and waiters will serve you delicious meals ( Our puja, Tenji holding a cup of Rakshi (Liam Suckling). Back to Top
- Base Camp to Advanced Basecamp at 5500 metres/18,150 feet: Ama Dablam is one of the few Himalayan peaks that can be reached without crossing a glacier. We climb a long gravel ridge-slope, and cross a boulder field on the SW ridge where we will place advanced basecamp. There is water here in early October. Our skillful cook will be serving you hot meals and drinks in this camp.
- Fixed Rope: During the past 11 years it has been normal that good quality rope was fixed from camp 1 to the summit. We plan to make sure this tradition continues.
- Camp 1 at 5700 metres/18,800 feet: We scramble over large boulders and climb an easy fourth class slab, where we fix a "hand-line". We establish two kitchens, complete with Nepalese cooks, in both ABC and camp 1 so you can enjoy abundant hot meals and drinks so you don`t have to cook or fill your own water bottle.
- Camp 2 at 6000 metres/19,800 feet: We scramble-climb along an easy fourth class horizontal rock ridge and around several pinnacles, gaining only 300 metres/1000 feet, vertical. The exposure is huge, with massive drop-offs on both sides of the ridge. The climbing is very enjoyable with good quality granite. At the end of the horizontal ridge we climb the Yellow Tower with 6 metres/20 feet of French 4th class, British Severe, North American 5.5. Above the Yellow Tower we place camp 2 on ledges and a flat-topped rock pinnacle. Camp 2 is probably the most "airy" site you will ever pitch a tent on (Grace McDonald during the climb to camp 2 - Photo left by John Shelton-Smith)
- Rest Days: We will be taking a lot of them throughout the expedition. During your rest days we encourage you to concentrate on recovering, eating and drinking, to read, relax, listen to music and stroll around visiting other teams.
- Summit day: From camp 2, a steep snow ridge is climbed through the Grey Tower, with one move of French Class 4, British Severe, or 5.5, then multiple fourth class-scrambling pitches in snow, rock and ice. A snow-rock-ice chute is climbed to gain the ridge traverse, named the "mushroom-ridge", which is a very bizarre but fairly stable formation. This is followed to the right side of the base of the Dablam, where camp 3 is made on a broad flat snowfield. In recent years, due to risk of avalanche, we have only used camp 3 as a stop to make hot drinks and rewarm our feet and we have not slept overnight there.
Two easy pitches of dramatic but very solid 40+ degree snow-ice are climbed to the side of the Dablam, where is located a short 4 metre high snow-ice step tilted at a 75 degree angle. We climb a snow ridge through the fluted, but very easy and solid, 30-48 degree snowfields that lead to one of the worlds finest summits (6,812 metres/22,349 feet), where you will be treated to incredibly stunning views of the south Face of Lhotse, Nuptse, Mount Everest, Cho Oyu, Pumori, Shishapangma, Makalu, and the Khumbu Himal. Back to Top
- We encourage men and women from around the world, of all ages to join us as an individual team member or with your own group, whether that is your spouse, partner, friends, sibling, clients, colleagues, etc. Most of our members join as individuals, our team dynamics work well, and we are able to build successful and safe groups that enjoy trekking, climbing, and traveling together (Mark van 't Hof Photo. Saz on the crux pitch in the infamous Yellow Tower. James Barritt).
- You should feel confident climbing rock up to French 4th class, British Severe, North American 5.5, as well as have previous experience in glacier travel using ice-axe and crampons.
- To participate in this expedition you must be a very fit and active winter-walker-climber in good health. Prior to joining, please see your doctor and obtain the necessary permission and advice.
MOUNT AMA DABLAM Rock-Ice-Snow Climb. 29 days in October-November 2014. Very climbable fixed rope easy-technical climb just 20 kilometres / 12 miles from Everest. Leader Dan Mazur teaches everything you need to know about technical rock, ice, and snow climbing. Whether you are an expert or a beginner, our qualified leader and Sherpas are there to climb together with you and/or let you go at your own speed, fast or slow! Climbing Ama Dablam qualifies you for Everest. Full Service Cost: $5550, £3450, €4050; Basic Climb Cost: $2450, £1550, €1850. Our team reached the summit safely in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. www.AmaDablamClimb.com .
PLEASE READ DOWN TO LEARN ABOUT OUR EXCITING SEASON OF UPCOMING TRIPS IN 2014 AND 2015....
IF YOU PLAN TO BE WITH US DURING THE NEXT 12 MONTHS, then you need to contact me now, as all of our trips are nearly full, with only a few places left. This is because we have not raised our prices and kept them very low to encourage returning and new members to join our teams this year.PERMIT PRICES FOR ALL MOUNTAINS ARE INCREASING IN 2014 AND 2015, BUT, FOR NOW, WE VOW TO NOT INCREASE OUR PRICES in order to emphasize OUR COMPANY PHILOSOPHY of offering the best possible expeditions with high quality leaders, the best Sherpas, top notch equipment, delicious food, excellent transport services and good hotels, at the most efficient prices, in order to welcome our old and new friends to enjoy the mountains as much as possible. Back to Top
WE WELCOME INDIVIDUALS JOINING ALONE, AND SMALL GROUPS OF TWOS AND THREES TO OUR EXPEDITIONS UPON FIXED DATES.
If you can't make the fixed dates and/or would prefer to CHOOSE YOUR OWN DATES, please let us know and we can gladly arrange a CUSTOM TRIP for you.
If you are a LARGER GROUP, please let us know and we can provide special low prices, dates, and a private customised trip.
WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO STAY UP TO DATE ON ALL OF THE LATEST INFO AT: www.facebook.com/summitclimbers and all of the social media pages mentioned at the bottom of this newsletter, including Skype, YouTube , Twitter , Instagram , Pinterest , Linked-In and Vimeo. Several times a week we publish the latest news on our expeditions and other mountain issues including photos, videos, blogs & always encourage you to join in.
August-September 2014 MOUNT CHO OYU OR SHISHAPANGMA. 38 days. World's 6th highest - and THE BEST POSSIBLE TRAINING FOR EVEREST. Located near Everest. 100% of our team summited in 2013. Leader Dan Mazur teaches everything you need to know about mountaineering. Our strong sherpas are the best on the mountain and are helpful and friendly every step of the way. Full Service Cost: $12,850, £8450, €9,850; Basic Climb Cost: $6650, £4350, €5050. (20% Discount for Cho-Shish-Combo). Our team reached the summit safely in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. www.ChoOyuClimb.com .
HERE ARE OUR TRIPS FOR OCTOBER - NOVEMBER:
ISLAND TREKKING PEAK EXPEDITION. 22 days in October-November 2014. Nepal's most famous easy trekking peak. Trip includes a visit to Everest basecamp too. Leader Dan Mazur teaches you everything you need to know. Introduction to high altitude. Full Service Cost: $2950, £1950, €2250. 5 day option: $1350. Our team reached the summit safely in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. www.IslandPeakClimb.com .
EVEREST BASECAMP TREK. 18 Days in October-November. Amazing, memorable trek in the footsteps of Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa to world's most famous basecamp. Trek leader Dan Mazur loves to lead the trek with friendly Sherpas! Full Service Cost: $1850, £1250, €1450. www.EverestBasecampWalk.com .
MERA TREKKING PEAK EXPEDITION. 22 days in October-November 2014. www.MeraPeakClimb.com . Best views of Everest from this easy remote Nepal 6500 metre/21,000 foot trekking peak. Friendly Leader Dan Mazur teaches you everything you need to know about walking and easy climbing on snow. Perfect introduction to high altitude. Helpful expert Sherpas are there with you every step of the way. Full Service Cost: $3150, £2050, €2450. Our team reached the summit safely in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Please also read the news page www.MeraPeakNews.com . OPTIONAL: For those who are especially keen, you may wish to bring your skiis or snowboard (please watch the video on the news page). Back to Top
MOUNT BARUNTSE EXPEDITION. 32 days in October-November 2014. www.BaruntseClimb.com . Remote Nepal at its best. This expedition offers something for experts and beginners alike. Grand Circle Traverse trekking and climbing trip, begins with Mera Trekking Peak as a "warm-up", then Baruntse: Nepal's 'easiest' 7000 metre / 23,000 foot high peak, superb preparation for Everest. Then we complete the loop by trekking and climbing over the famous and very beautiful Amphu-Labtsa Pass at the foot of Everest. Trip finishes in the famous Everest Valley with a three day trek to Lukla. Perfect ending to a very special circuit. Three peaks for price of one. Leader Dan Mazur: Excellent teacher will teach you all of the climbing skills you need to know. Our strong Sherpas are with you every step of the way. Full Service Cost: $8950, £5450, €6450. Our team reached the summit safely in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. For the news please visit: www.BaruntseNews.com and please watch this well made 10 minute video by Richard Pattison: "Breathless on Baruntse" (Click Here ).
Look closely to see the two climbers standing in the middle of the Amphu Labtsa glacier (Dan Mazur). Trekkers on a suspension bridge on the trail to Everest. Photo by Ron and Dee Haberern. Back to Top
photo by Murari Sharma: Patale health post worker Jamyang and Dr. Lisa McClellan examine a Nepalese baby. Giving out school supplies at the school in Patale
Murari at Kalapathar. Photo Murari.Christmas New year members enjoying the beautiful weather behind Budish stupa. Photo Kaji Tamang.
December, January, and February MOUNT ACONCAGUA CLIMBS TO THE HIGHEST PEAK IN ALL OF THE AMERICAS and a famous Seven Summit. 20 days in Argentina climbing a very easy and very high mountain. 6980 metres / 23,000 feet high and excellent preparation for Everest. Patient, friendly leader Max Kausch teaches everything you need to know and has been the chief of 20 expeditions for Summit Climb. Cost: $3750, £2260, €2735. www.AconcaguaSummitClimb.com .
James Shipton (left) and Allan Taggard on the Summit of Aconcagua - Photo: Angel Armesto. James & Allan on the way down - Photo: Max Kausch.
BIG NEWS FOR 2015: We welcome you to join us for the Spring Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, Everest Training Climb, Island Peak, Everest Basecamp and Remote Nepal Service Trek Season. It's hard to believe, but these trips are NEARLY FULL with just a few places left. WE HAVE DECIDED NOT TO INCREASE THE PRICES FOR 2015, AGAINST ALL ODDS. We want to maintain our emphasis on quality services provided at the most efficient price level. Back to TopFREE NO-COST PERMITS FOR EVEREST AND LHOTSE AND EVEREST NEPAL TRAINING CLIMB. The Nepalese Government Authorities will grant a free climbing permit to anyone who was denied a chance to climb in April 2014. PLEASE TELL ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS THE GOOD NEWS AND ASK THEM TO GET IN TOUCH TO BOOK THE FEW REMAINING SPOTS IN OUR 2015 AND 2016 TEAMS FOR FREE PERMIT HOLDERS.
EVEREST NEPAL SUMMIT CLIMB. April-May, 2015 and 2016. 60 days. or September-October, 2014 and 2015. Join experienced friendly leader Dan Mazur / Scott Patch to climb the world's highest peak, made famous by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Sherpa. The Nepal side of Everest is considered to be warmer and less windy than the Tibet side of Everest. Full Service Cost: $36,450, £23,950, €27,450; Basic Climb: $14,950, £9850, €11,450. 100% of our team reached the summit together with Dan Mazur in 2013. www.EverestNepalExpedition.com
EVEREST TIBET SUMMIT CLIMB. April-May, 2015 and 2016. 60 days. Climb the world's highest peak made famous by Mallory and Irvine in 1924. Leaders Dan Mazur and Scott Patch are experienced and friendly. The Tibet side of Everest is less expensive, more remote and less crowded than the Nepal side. Climbing the Tibet side of Everest is cheaper, but reputed to be colder and windier than the Nepal side. Full Service Cost: $28,450, £18,750, €21,750; Basic Climb Cost: $9950, £6550, €7550. We had the best summit success of any team in 2013. www.EverestTibetExpedition.com
Almost to the Top of Everest - Photo Mia Graeffe. Everest and Basecamp after storm dropped over 1 meter of snow at Basecamp - Photo Scott Patch.
EVEREST TRAINING CLIMB NEPAL. April-May, 2015 and 2016. 31 days (or 16 days climb only) in April or May. We will teach you everything you need to know. Follow the same route as the climbers trying for the summit of Mount Everest, but stop in camp three at 7300 metres / 24,000 feet. Completing this climb is excellent preparation for eventually trying for the summit of Everest, at a much lower cost and for a shorter duration. If you do well on the March-April climb it is possible to transition to Everest and try for the summit. Full Service Cost: $8,650, £5,650, €6650. Sixteen day option : $6350, £4150, €4850. www.EverestTrainingClimbNepal.com
MOUNT CHO OYU EXPEDITION. April-May, and August-September 2015 and 2016. 38 days. Easy' snow climb. 6th highest mountain in the world. There is probably no better preparation for climbing Everest. Most accessible of the world's "8,000 metre", 26,000 foot high peaks. Leader Dan Mazur is extremely experienced, friendly, and teaches you everything you need to know. Located beside Everest on the edge of the exotic Tibetan Plateau. Full Service Cost: $12,850, £8450, €9,850; Basic Climb Cost: $6650, £4350, €5050. Our team reached the summit safely in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. www.ExpeditionChoOyu.com
MOUNT LHOTSE EXPEDITION. April-May, 2015 and 2016. 60 days. Fourth highest peak. Climb Everest route; branch off before high camp; ascend Lhotse Couloir. You: able to ascend-descend 50 degree snow/ice. Leader Dan Mazur: friendly experienced Everest and Lhotse climber. High summit for low cost. Full Service Cost: $14,850, £9,750, €11,350; Basic Climb: $4,950, £3250, €3750. 100%% of our team reached the summit with Dan Mazur in 2013. www.LhotseExpedition.com Back to Top
Lama Card showing by Anne-Mari Hyrylainen - Finland. Photo Anne. Lakpa Kongle Sherpa capturing Anne-Mari Hyrylainen photo on the summit of Lhotse - Finland. Photo Anne
Mitch and others on Lhotse Face (Paula Leonard). Team at breakfast (Stew Edge). View o Everest from Camp3 (Squash Falconer)
MOUNT MUSTAGATA EXPEDITION. July 2015 and 2016. 25 days. World’s highest mountain which can be skiied, boarded, or snowshoed. 24,000 feet / 7500 meters. SELECTED BY NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC "BEST ADVENTURE DESTINATION". Friendly leader Scott Patch: snow safety expert, professional ski - snowshoe instructor. Climbing Mustagata qualifies you for Everest. Full Service Cost: $5750, £3550, €4450; Basic Climb Cost: $3150, £1950, €2450. www.MustagataClimb.com
NEW SERVICE: OUR EQUIPMENT EXPERTS are on hand to help you rent or purchase the affordably priced climbing and walking equipment you need. It does not matter if you live where good gear is hard to find. Please just let us know what you need and we will help you find it at the best prices and have it sent you and/or keep it on hand for your climb.
INEXPENSIVE PLANE TICKETS ARE STILL EASY TO FIND: Please email or telephone me and I will gladly assist you in locating these.
ARE YOU FIT? We want you to be in shape for your walk or climb, so please send us an email with your training inquiry and we will forward fitness program recommendations.
QUESTIONS? Before joining our team, please be sure you understand everything about the trip, so do ask lots of questions. I am here to answer any and all. I ALWAYS enjoy chatting about mountains, an exciting subject for me.
HOW TO APPLY: After all questions are answered to your (and our) satisfaction, please send your completed and signed application (email is preferable). To find the application, please go to www.SummitClimb.com or www.SummitTrek.com and in the upper right hand corner you can download it from the "HOW TO JOIN THE TEAM " button. Many thanks!
TO HOLD YOUR PLACE ON THE TRIP, PLEASE NOW MAKE A REFUNDABLE TEN PERCENT DOWN PAYMENT. You may pay the entire cost of the trip with your credit card, make a bank transfer, mail a check, or pay cash, the choice is yours. Please visit www.SummitClimbPayment.com to learn more.
BY THE WAY, WE ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BECOME LEADERS: Our growing company is always looking for trekking and climbing members who would like to learn to become leaders, so please visit www.LeaderInTraining.com , where we give special discounts for learning leaders and mountain guides. If you are already a mountain guide, please do ask about the special guide's discount. Thank you very much.Please contact me as soon as possible. I enjoy questions and discussing our favourite topic: MOUNTAINS.
I look forward to chatting, meeting, and to climbing to the summit and walking to basecamp together. Thank you very much. Welcome to Our Team and Best Mountain Regards!
I am waiting for your contact - Dan Mazur
Email: Dan@SummitClimb.com and Dan@SummitTrek.com
Telephone UK: (+44) (0)7810375400. Telephone USA: 1-360-570-0715 (please leave a message with your name, phone, and email)
Latest climbing news: www.SummitClimbNews.com .
Latest trekking news: www.SummitTrekNews.com .
Latest charity / non-profit news: www.MountEverestFoundation.org .
Do you have a website? Lets exchange links: www.SummitClimbLinks.com
UK Mailing address: 30 Downfield Lodge, Downfield Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 2TQ, England
USA Mailing address: POB 123, Lakebay, Washington, 98351, USA
Daniel Mazur Wikipedia Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mazur
Ps. PLEASE BE SURE TO TELL ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO DO (WE PAY YOU A CASH COMMISSION "FINDER'S FEE" FOR SENDING US NEW MEMBERS) . THANK YOU ! Back to Top