Cho Oyu Climb & Trek Expedition Nepal and Tibet Recent News autumn 2010

Cho Oyu Climb & Trek Expedition Nepal and Tibet Recent News autumn 2010

Photos in Cho Oyu slideshow: David Lepagne, Guntis Brands, Phil Crampton, Johan Frankelius, Herve Coron, & Thierry Auberson. For caption information on these photos, please visit our Cho Oyu photo gallery.
Cho Oyu Autumn 2010: news of our expedition
2 September to 9 October, 2010
"Click Here" for information about our upcoming Cho Oyu expeditions

Dispatches: Please click one of the links below to go directly to that dispatch or just scroll down.

11 October, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing the last dispatch for the Cho Oyu Autumn expedition 2010. We are currently in Kathmandu organizing our next 3 expeditions: Baruntse, Ama Dablam and Everest Glacier School.

Matti was the last one of the Cho Oyu expedition to leave, he left last night, before him Paul left. They spent a few nights in Kathmandu relaxing.

Julie and Calin went to Pokhara to relax and got back 2 days ago before taking their flight back to Hong Kong. Nathalie and Rolf managed to change their flights and left Kathmandu on October 5th.

We will really miss our team and really look forward to meet them again in another climb.

We are very sorry about the late monsoon this year and also for the snow conditions. Until now, it is said that only 3 people reached the summit of Cho Oyu this autumn. One of the summits however is disputed.

We hope more people reach the summit of Cho Oyu this season and we really hope no one gets hurt.

Regards from Kathmandu,

Max Kausch back to top

From left to right: Murari Sharma, Rolf Vetter, Max Kausch, Nathalie Virag, Dan Mazur (photo: Max Kausch)

7 October, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing good news regarding Mr Shangcho Yangjie, who was part of one of our expeditions to Everest in 2007. Unfortunately he ended up loosing 7 fingers after the expedition due to over exposure to cold.

Some of the members of that expedition and others raised a quantity of cash, however, they weren't able to find Shangcho for 3 years!!!

After quite an effort, I found him working in a school in Nyalam. He was very surprised and cried when he received the money.

I just wanted to make it clear here that I haven't helped raise the money and way only the "delivery guy". The following people are the ones who raised the money:

  • Wally Reisinger
  • Kevin Adams
  • Martin Barnet
  • Mark Dickson
  • Tami Ellis
  • Michael Hsu
  • Brad Jackson
  • Steve Lawes

Shangcho says thanks to all of you for raising the 17 thousand yuan and he promised that he will spend the money wisely.

Thank you,

Max Kausch back to top


  How we found Shangcho was the right guy (2008 photo from Wally Reisinger ). Raj Magar, Shangcho Yangjie and Max Kausch with the 17 thousand yuan. Sangcho gave us a hand made portrait of Potala in Lhasa as a gift (Max Kaush).

4 October, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu Autumn 2010 expedition.

Today is October 4th, 2010 and we made it back to Kathmandu. I have tried to phone a quick dispatch from the Chinese border, letting you know how we are.

Everyone got down the mountains safely and we rushed out of ABC straight to the border and then straight to Kathmandu, so we had not much time to comment out trip.

For now, let me show you our situation hours after our arrival to Kathmandu!


Max Kausch back to top

Team eating a tasty dinner in Kathmandu after arrival (Max Kausch).

1 October, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu expedition autumn 2010. Today is October 1st and we are at BC.

The sherpas did a great job today bringing over 300kg of equipment from 7100m!!! Part of them already reached ABC. Lakpa and Galje sherpa remain at C2 with Rolf and Nathali who reached C3 today in a single push, with no oxygen from C2. We are proud of them, as they reached their personal altitue records. They are planning to come back to ABC tomorrow and help us pack stuff before leving on the 3rd of October.

Matti and Michael made it to C1 but didn't really fell motivated to keep going to C3 without a chance to summit. They are back and safe in ABC now.

The rest of the team is safe at ABC packing, showering and reading books.

The weather continues as a proper post monsoon should be: blue skies, and windy up high. It's a shame the higher slopes aren't consolidated otherwise we could push for the summit. Paul is recovering from a slight throat infection, but seems to feel better every hour.

Today a total of 14 expeditions announced that they will leave within the next few days. Some will push to C3, clear their stuff and come down. 5 or 6 expeditions will stay at Cho Oyu and maybe try the summit later than October 8th.

We heard news from Dan about Dean and Mark and found out that they are safe in Kathmandu waiting for their flights. We really miss them, we also miss Steve, he's a nice guy!

Well, that's the news today. We hope to send more news tomorrow.

Thanks for following the new at


Max Kaush back to top

30 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu Autumn Expedition 2010. I'm currently at ABC and today is September 30th.

After a few discussions and evaluations we decided to abandon the expedition due to the current snow conditions. The higher slopes of Cho Oyu need a long time for consolidation; at least 7-10 days and we don't have this time. All the news we have heard from people who tried to go up are negative. Yesterday, a very experienced Japanese climber tried to go up and couldn't get above the rock band at 7700m.

Also, due to the 2 very recent avalanches that took 12 sherpas, no one is confident with the current snow conditions and no sherpas want to go above 7100m to fix ropes. I can't blame them since 12 almost got killed during the past weeks. Also, the ropes that we were going to use on the fixing were lost with the avalanches.

Apart from us, today, the 30th another 12 expeditions are wrapping up and leaving Cho Oyu.

Our sherpas went to Camp 2 today to bring all logistics down. 4 of our members decided to go with them and reach a safe high spot and break their own altitude records. Nathalie, Rolf, Michael and Matti left with the sherpas this morning, but they will not go above camp 3, where the slopes are unsafe.

Calin, Jules and Paul stayed at ABC to relax until we wrap up and leave the mountain the morning of 3rd.

We from SummitClimb are very sorry that our members couldn't reach the summit this autumn, but we are proud for making safe decisions and have all our members and sherpas here without a scratch.

Thank you for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top


Above camp 1 (Max Kausch).

29 September, 2010

This is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyo expedtition 2010.

Many apologies for not sending voice or email dispatches for so long. After arriving 7100m, I found out that our spare battery was defective and the air temperature when we arrived was at least -10C + wind chill factor...

But let me tell the whole story from the beginning.

After Dean's Voice dispatch a few days ago, the whole team left to C1 with the intention of reaching C2 next day. As a few forecasts have predicted, the day we chose to reach C2 was extremely windy and we decided to push until 11am or turn around after that in case the wind didn't stop. That was based on the experience of our previous day expedition and the wind gusts went as strong as 70km/h. This was quite interesting... After reaching a plateau at 6650m, the Lewis couple decided to turn around and descended to C1 with Jangbu Sherpa. The rest of the team continued pushing but at 67000m, Dean Cardinale decided to turn back to C1 based on the conditions.

From that point on, we were somehow sheltered by this huge 40m ice cliff.

After a few avalanches last week, the whole cliff was modified, but a day before the members, I went straight from ABC to the ice cliff to evaluate snow conditions with a shovel and ice axes. Although the big picture did not look good at all, the line we were climbing looked safe enough.

Next day Rolf, Nathalie, Matti, Paul, Michael, Raj and myself climbed the vertical step that was 85 degrees in some places. We arrived at 2pm, Nepali time at the top of the cliff. Michael was exauhsted maybe due to the great effort that day added to the extreme weahter conditions. He decided to go down with Lakpa back to C1.

Nathalie, Rolf and Matti made it very early to C2, we are very proud of them. Paul, Raj and I made to camp just before sunset. All members who made to C2 spent a night there, then decided to go back to ABC to rest.

I decided to spend another night on the mountain and reached the slopes very closes to C3 this morning. It did not look good. It was knee deep snow at some parts and high avalanche risk. When I arrived to ABC 7pm tonight, Raj and the sherpas told me about another avalanche that took 5 sherpas with it from other expeditions on the mountain. 2 had to be evacuated to Kathmandu. I will post some news regarding this avalanche tomorrow. Apparently the avalanche, again, was at 7700.

Now we are facing a new problem: there's no one else to fix rope. Most of the teams (about 8 big teams) gave up and are on their way home now.

We'll have a meeting and decide what to to tommorrow.

Kind Regards

Max Kausch back to top

Team member on his way to camp 2 of Cho Oyu (Max Kausch).

25 September, 2010

Hello, this is Dean Cardinale with a dispatch for the SummitClimb Cho Oyu autumn 2010 expedition. Today is the 25th of September.

All members are back at Advanced Basecamp after 2 days of rest. Mark Herbick has left the group after dealing with an ongoing medical ailment the last 5 days. His time was cut short and he decided to head back towards Kathmandu.

On the mountain, above camp 2 in the icefall, we saw multiple avalanches that have occurred. Some were human triggered and others natural.

We spent last night resting in Advanced Basecamp and the skies cleared overnight. It was the first night of no snowfall at ABC. Temperatures dropped as the skies cleared.

Today the whole team is moving from ABC up to camp 1 to continue our push on the mountain. Our members remain upbeat and optimistic that the weather will afford a summit attempt. We look forward to more news dispatches and photos coming your way soon. Bye. back to top

Sunset from camp 2 (Mia Graeffe).
23 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu autumn 2010 expedition. Today is September 23rd 2010.

I'm currently at ABC with our whole team. Yesterday the team tried to reach C2 but the snow conditions were too bad and they decided to stay at C1 and come back to ABC. Our team took a safe decision while others decided to go up despite the conditions. There were a few avalanches at the ice cliff at 6700m. Also some above it, on the second ice fall. No one got hurt and we are very glad that the teams that nearly got taken by the avalanches are safe back at camp.

This monsoon seems very persistent and stronger than the last ones. I have seen the start of it here in Cho Oyu last spring, seen some of its results during june/july in Pakistan, and here I am now, waiting for it to finish so we can climb Cho Oyu again. We faced extreme weather conditions at the start and during the monsoon. We hope it won't be too bad at the end of it.

3 weather forecasts agree that the monsoon precipitation will end during the next few days, then the winds will pick up. We hope to use the windy days to reach C2, sleep there and come back down to ABC and finish our acclimatization process.

The rope fixing works ended last week with the avalanche at 7700 that took 7 tibetan sherpa (all survived). After meeting with most of commercial teams, we decided to fix whatever is left ourselves during our summit push.

With all these poor weather conditions, we expect now to push for the summit on the 4th of October. But it all depends on weather... Thinking now, I don't remember of a totally clear day since we start of the expedition.
Snows every day lately and it's very hard to keep stuff dry even inside the tent.

Dan Mazur sent us a message from the other side of the Himalayas, and say that the weather is the same over there.

On the bright side of things, our members ended up spending 3 nights at 6400m and super acclimatized and ready for the push to 7100m! At ABC we try to keep ourselves busy although there isn't too much to do when it's snowing. I believe this is the greatest challenge when climbing 80000m mountains and the team is doing this VERY well on this.

Julie and Calin Lewis improved their timing to C1 and back and we are very proud of them. Mike is also getting faster every time. We hope all 3 of them will archive our next 2 goals (C2 and summit). Matti is getting very fast and is now running down the moraine slope! Paul adapted very well to altitudes and is keeping a steady pace at every camp he goes to.

Nathalie and Rolf say that they feel like at home when sleeping at C1, although its 6400m high!

Mark and Dean are feeling very strong and deciding the next steps on the expedition.

Thank you all for following the news at


Max Kausch
back to top

22 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu 2010 Autumn expedition. Today is September 22nd.

Yesterday the whole team went to C1 to then try an acclimatisation push to C2. The weather didn't cooperate and now everyone is stuck at C1 and will be back to ABC tomorrow morning. The weather forecast doesn't look good, some say there will be precipitation until the end of the month. Most of the teams are back down to ABC.

The Tibetans who were responsible to fix the ropes this years went back home due to an avalanche at 7700m. Now, the commercial teams such as ours are responsible to fix the route from the rock band to the summit.

We hope the weather improves a little during the next few days so we can push for our acclimatisation to C2.

Thank you all for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top

Mark, Dean and Paul at camp 1. The team in camp 1 (Max Kausch).

18 September, 2010

Hi this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu 2010 Autumn expedition.

I'm currently typing from ABC, its -15C outside my tent, I'm almost freezing my fingers.

Today I have two sad news to give you:

Mr Stephen Ranger had to leave our expedition due to a case of pulmonary oedema. A doctor from the Amical Expedition examined him and found irregular blood pressure and heart rhythm. We tried our best to keep him here, but it was impossible to keep him on the expedition without proper medical attention (reminding you that ABC is 5700m!). Steve left camp 2 days ago a crossed the Nepali border safely and went straight to a hospital in Kathmandu. He was diagnosed with having pulmonary oedema. The descent from the high altitude probably saved his life. Steve is a nice guy! We will really miss Steve and pray for a fast recovery and hopefully enjoy his company again on another trip. Steve, please send us some news!

In another unhappy event, an avalanche at 7700m swept a lot of Tibetan sherpas and injured 7 of them, 2 very seriously. After a very complex rescue, they are all stabilized at ABC or BC and are now on their way to a hospital in Lhasa. They were sent to fix the route very early in the season.

From ABC we can even see avalanches over the rockband at 7700m. We hope they recover from the injuries and don't get any more complications.

Now the good news. Our team is doing great! We all spent a night at C1. The sherpas, Raj and I worked hard to dig good platforms at 6450m, just above the normal C1. The views from there are great, I wish you could see what we see from that altitude! We even had a kitchen tent set up with our amazing kitchen boy Chiring. The members love him! Every morning, afternoon and sunset he brings hot beverages and hot food to our tents. This really helps with the acclimatization. Everyone woke up in a great shape.

Today we geared up and climbed part of the route that leads to camp 2. The weather was great (for a while). After reaching 6600m, everyone returned to C1, left all the heavy gear and continued to ABC. Our cook waited for us with meat stew and Swiss potato pancakes (Nathalie and Rolf were VERY pleased!) Everyone is in great shape and fully acclimatized to 6400m.

We'll spend another 2 nights, then head to C2 to finish our acclimatization plan, which seems to be working very well!

That is all the news so far. Steve is great guy and we will all miss him! Please keep following the news at


Max Kausch back to top

The whole SummitClimb autumn Cho Oyu expedition team in basecamp (Max Kausch).

16 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the SummitClimb Cho Oyu 2010 Autumn expedition. Today is September 16th 2010 and we are back to ABC.

Yesterday, all the members reached camp 1 (6400m). Our sherpa and porters worked very hard yesterday and today to set our camp and take all logistics up there so our members can go to sleep there tomorrow.

As we were coming down from camp yesterday, the weather got really bad and hasn't improved since. Our weather forecast says that tomorrow should be a good day. Everyone continues to adapt very well to the extreme altitudes. If the team continues like this, we should be ready for the summit push in less than 10 days!!

The CTMA is association with the Tibetan Climbing School became responsible this year for fixing the route. We contributed with rope, equipment and staff. The Tibetan team already fixed the route to the rock band at 7700m and surely will finish the job by the time our team is acclimatizing. We are very thankful to them for this.

Tomorrow we will have breakfast and start to move up slowly to reach camp 1 and spend 1 night there. The next day we are planning a acclimatization climb to the ice cliff at 6700m.

Thank you all for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top

Members during our Puja ceremony (Raj Thapa). Our comfortable advanced basecamp (Dean Cardinale).

15 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch calling in for the autumn SummitClimb Cho Oyu expedition 2010.

At the moment we’ve made it to camp 1. The weather is not the greatest, but we’re bringing most of the logistics up. Three members are here with us, as well as all of the sherpas. Jules and Colin are very close to the ridge and we might see them in about half an hour. The rest of the team is safe and coming up. We’re going to call in another dispatch from ABC as soon as possible once we’ve returned back down. Thank you very much for following the news. Bye, bye. back to top

Yak caravans passing the Nanga La Pass (Max Kausch). Cooks preparing burgers at 5700 metres (Dean Cardinale).

14 September, 2010

This is Julie Lewis from the SummitClimb Cho Oyu expedition led by Max Kausch. It’s Tuesday the 14th of September and the team is here at Advanced Basecamp.

We’ve been having some great fun up here. Yesterday was glacier training, where we practiced some jumaring and rappelling in preparation for the rock bands a little bit higher near the summit. This morning we had a very special puja ceremony where all of our equipment was blessed and prayer scarves placed around it. It was very special.

The weather has been a bit variable. We’ve had some snow, but generally gorgeous clear blue skies and breathtaking scenery. Mother Nature is amazing. We’ve got a great team of climbing sherpas with us and fabulous kitchen crew.

The plan is for tomorrow to move up to camp 1 and face the ‘horrible hill’ of scree up to 6400 metres/21,000 feet for our acclimatization.

Thank you so much for following the team on the blog at We can feel the energy from all of the family and friends that are following us. For all of those women out there following it, please check out for some other moderate adventures in the Middle East, Africa and Asia. We look forward to more news dispatches and photos coming your way soon. Bye. back to top

Cho Oyu from ABC (Max Kausch). Team conducting a bit of glacier training above ABC (Raj Thapa).

11 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu 2010 Autumn Expedition. Today is September 11th 2010.

We trekked to interm camp yesterday and will acclimatise here today. The team is still feeling very well and nobody has signs of any altitude related problems. It seems that our "slow and steady" acclimatisation plan is working very well! We witnessed members of other teams today having to be evacuated to lower altitutes due to a poor acclimatisation strategy.

We can see Cho Oyu very well from here, as well as its neighboring peaks such as Gyachung Kang and Jowo Rabtsang.

Tomorrow is a big day for us, as we will finally make it to Advanced Base Camp wich will be our home  for about 3 weeks. I believe the whole team will get there with no problems. Part of our Tibetan staff is already there and set part of the camp up.

We really look forward to getting to ABC

Thank you for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top

Approach camp at 5100 metres (Max Kausch).Morning at basecamp (Max Kausch).

9 September, 2010

Team reports in live (click here to listen)

Hi, this is Max Kausch calling in for the autumn SummitClimb Cho Oyu expedition 2010. Today is the 9th of September and we finally made it to Chinese basecamp, which is at 4900 metres/16,000 feet.

I apologize for not sending in any dispatches for the last few days. We had some problems with our satellite system and couldn’t make any phone calls or do emails, but that’s all fixed now.

Tibet is very cloudy and windy at the moment. It seems that the monsoon is very strong this year, but we hope that the weather will start clearing in about 2 weeks.

We spent the last 4 days acclimatizing with 2 nights in Nyalam (3700 metres/12,100 feet), 2 nights in Tingri (4400 metres/14,400 feet) and then arrived at Chinese basecamp yesterday. Everyone is adjusting extremely well to the high altitude and no one is suffering from headaches or other effects. We’re very proud of them.

We’re not doing much today. Stephen and Michael are very happy with their new purchases. They bought some furry hats in Tingri. Matti, Nathalie, Michael, and Rolf went for some treks today in the hills nearby and the rest of the team is relaxing in camp.

There are many expeditions here. The Chinese authorities are saying that there over 50 expeditions climbing Cho Oyu this season. In one way I think this is good because there will be a lot of people to share in fixing the route. On the other side, the route might get a bit crowded at some points, but I’m sure we can chat about that with the other teams so everyone doesn’t go up at the same time.

Yesterday we met our awesome cook Samdien who came from Lhasa about a week ago. We’re happy to have him on our expedition because he’s an extremely experienced cook with over 20 Himalayan expeditions. Having good food at basecamp and ABC makes a huge difference in acclimatization. We also have some very experienced sherpas with us that have summited Cho Oyu multiple times.

Our plan is to stay here tonight and then head to interim camp tomorrow at 5150 metres/16,900 feet. We’ll decide if we’re going to stay 1 or 2 days there. From here at Chinese basecamp we’ll start walking with 3 ½ tons of equipment and food which will be carried by yaks, so we won’t be moving in cars anymore.

That is all of the news so far. We’ll send you some more updates as soon as possible. Thank you very much for following the news at Bye, bye. back to top

A team member taking an adventurous acclimatization hike. In the distance below you can see basecamp (Samuli Mansikka). 

5 September, 2010

Hi, this is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu autumn expedition 2010. Today is September 5th 2010.

We made it to Tibet! It might not sound like much to most of you but considering the condition of the road to the Chinese border, we are very glad and actually quite impressed for going all the way from Kathmandu to Nyalam in one single day!

Despite the contsant rain brought by the worst monsoon of the last 40 years, the road was actually drivable.

Our last team member, Mark Herbick, arrived to Kathmandu at 11am on the 3rd and spent the whole day with last minute preparations. We left Kathmandu at 4 am yesterday and found no major landslides on the way. There was only one point where the road was very muddy and a lot of vehicles got stuck. We spent about 1 hour around this area, waiting for trucks, buses and cars to cross the muddy spot. Most of the smaller vehicles weren't powerful enough and got stuck on the mud. Locals and people who were trying to get to China had to help so they would also have a chance of crossing the border that day.

A small car, a Toyota Corolla, got stuck and needed a help. A few of us helped but Mark actually lifted the car 10 inches off the ground and moved it to the left. That was quite impressive! Surely, we would spend a few more hours on the mud if Mark wasn't there. Thanks Mark!

The rest of the driving went quite smooth and we made it to the border at 9:15 am. There we said goodbye to our agent Deha, who helped with all the paperwork and logistics up to the border. We will miss him. Thank you Deha!

A huge line of trucks waiting for clearance from the Chinese Customs became a bit of a problem as there wasn't enough room on the road for 2 vehicles so we had to walk. After walking for about 2km, we made it to the bus provided by the CTMA and arrived to Zhangmu at 1pm (the first Chinese town).

We had absolutely no problems with permits, visas and paperwork and drove to Nyalam in only 2 hours. Also, our 2 tons of equipment went through the border with no problems. Here, at 3700m we start our long acclimatization process. Everyone is happy and doing very well.

Rolf, Nathalie, Dean and Mark went for a walk on the hills just outside town. The rest of the team is resting, walking around Nyalam and checking their emails.

Our plan is to leave tomorrow morning and drive over the Thong La Pass (5200m), then to Tingri, at 4350m. After 2 nights in Tringi, we will drive to Chinese BC (4900m) and spend 2 nights there. After then, we'lll start trekking. We will take very easy and walk the 20km that separate BC from ABC in 4 days (2 days rest at 5200m).

We'lll post more news as soon as possible.

Thank you all for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top



Team members having breakfast at Kodari, the last nepali town (Max Kausch). Long bus journey after crossing the Chinese border (Max Kausch). Buying down clothing in Kathmandu (Rolf Vetter). Truck going through the muddy road to Kodari (Nathalie Virag). Our team helping to move a car that got stuck (Nathalie Virag).

2 September, 2010

Hi, Namaste

This is Max Kausch writing a dispatch for the Cho Oyu Expedition Autumn 2010.

Today is September 2nd 2010 and we are on our last minute preparations before departing to Cho Oyu tomorrow at 4am. All members except Mark Herbick have arrived. We look forward to meet Mark today!

Our team members spent the last few days going around Kathmandu buying some equipment and clothing. We had a lot of fun around the equipment shops yesterday.

We had very good news today from Kodari: It seems that the road that goes to the chinese border - which was closed for a few days due to landslides - was cleared and is now drivable again.

We are having our expedition briefing today and will go through all the details before leaving. Everyone is fine and we all have really good expectations about this trip.

The next time you hear news from us, will be from China!

Thanks for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top

Trying on equipment in the friendly shops of Kathmandu.  Cho Oyu group dinner in Kathmandu (Max Kausch).

1 September, 2010 news: today was Krishna's birthday or Krishna-Jyatra.

Krishna Jyatra. Loads of people went to the temple to pay tribute to Krishna, and singing groups performed throughout the city. Car, bus, and motorbike traffic on the streets was very light as it was a bank holiday.

Our Cho Oyu expedition was very busy. Leaders Rajan and Max were busy all day with the medical kits, solar panels, phones, walkie talkies, and checking the member's gear. All preparations are coming along nicely. We are looking forward to our big team dinner tomorrow night, briefing and orientation on the 3rd, and early morning departure on the 4th. Time has really been flying. Its hard to believe we are all leaving for Tibet in just 2.5 days! We will keep you posted about the status of our expedition.

Latest news: lots of rain has been falling so the road has washed out so porters may have to cary all of our luggage through several roadblocks. It should be very "interesting", so keep watching ! if you have any questions or comments for the team members, leaders or staff, please email us at or check our facebook page. Thanks and Welcome to our team! : Mount Everest Foundation for Sustainable Development (MEFSD) Deboche Waterline News: Mingma Sherpa met with Maila Sherpa and Murari Sharma, then we visited the HISI plastic pipe production facility with Mingma and Yangjie and Jangbu Sherpa. It was a very educational trip and I include photos which show that Nepalese do know how to use plastics and high-technology. This technical knowledge and confidence in the Nepalese plastics industry is going to be very important in our forthcoming EWB Everest bio energy project.

Getting back to the waterline project, unfortunately we have discovered we now need 1.5 kilometres of pipe and 20 porters. Originally we thought we only needed 250 metres and 4 porters. This long length of pipe will ensure a constant flow 12 months a year, as sources closer to the convent have been going dry for several months each year. This increased length of pipe is going to vastly increase the original cost projections. The cost of cultural preservation is high it seems. However, considering there has been no running water to this convent up to now, I guess the cost is relative.

Deboche convent was built in 1925 and is the sister monastery to the Thyangboche men's monastery 2 kilometres distant at the top of the hill. By the way, the men got their water 40 years ago, while the women are still waiting for theirs!!

Starting tomorrow, the pipe will be carried overland from Jiri up to Deboche, which will take 20 porters about 2 weeks. As the weather has been very bad lately, it will not be possible to use helicopters nor fixed wing aircraft to fly the pipe to a higher elevation. Jangbu is departing tomorrow with the porters, and Mingma and Murari will leave on the 10th. We are very excited to begin work on the project. The same 20 porters who carry the pipe will do the installation. So watch this space for further news about this exciting project. Special thanks to Marcia MacDonald, Denise LaFlamme, Brad Grimstead, the Mountain Fund, and Murari Sharma. In case you want to become involved, please email or check our facebook page. Thanks and welcome to our team! back to top





A singing group performs on a street corner for Krishna's birthday. Checking extruded pipe coming out of cooling tank. Colourful shop window in Thamel. Flute seller on a street in Thamel. Hisi pipe company has their own generator. Murari Sharma, director MEFSD showing plastic beads for making pipe while factory foreman observes. Illustration showing pipe being carried helicoptered setup in village water jugs filled. Inside the pipe pressure testing laboratory (Dan Mazur).

30 August, 2010

Hello , , and readers.

Thanks for following our news!!! Today was a very busy day indeed. It rained a fair bit and was warm and the sun poked its head out too. Kathmandu is very clean, green, and beautiful at the moment.

We met with Arnold and Maya, two of Holland and Nepal's most famous climbers and were thrilled to meet their 48 day old baby daughter who has 5 names.

Marianne Heredge from Rural Assistance Nepal came over to update us on her projects and suggest a joint trek between RAN and MEFSD and advised us how best to get nurse Dati Sherpa some birthing training at Patan teaching hospital, at the request of Christy Thuesen. Thanks Christy!!!

We met Justin Dickinson from the Big Umbrella and heard his fascinating stories about making Hollywood films and Natascha regaled us with gory stories about burning and chopping things.

Max is extremely busy working with Murari, Jon Otto and Stewart getting the Cho Oyu permit and visas into place.

Mingma ordered the pipe and parts from the supply house for the Deboche Waterline Project. Now we just have to figure out how we will get all of the supplies up there.

Garry, Ryan, and Kegan are developing questions for the EWB Bio Energy Project and we look forward to digging in and providing the answers. Everybody keep up the great work and thanks for following our news!!! back to top


Marianne Heredge from Rural Assistance Nepal with Dati Sherpa studying to be a birthing nurse at Dhaurkharka Health Clinic. One of Kathmandus colourful handicraft embroidery and pashmina shops. Kandu holding 48 day old Roos Dawa Yangjie Sherpa Coster, Maya Sherpa and Arnold Coster (Dan Mazur).

28 August, 2010

Hi, Namaste

This is Max Kausch writing the first dispatch for the Cho Oyu Expedition Autumn 2010.

Today is August 28th and I am writing from a hotel rooftop in rainy Kathmandu. From here I can see part of the centre of Thamel and heavy dark clouds at the horizon.

It hasn't been very hot lately in Kathmandu (25-28 ºC) but it has been raining every day for the past few weeks. People here look forward to the end of the rainy season.

We are currently working hard on the preparations and packing for our expedition. Our first 2 members will land in Kathmandu tomorrow and we really look forward to meet them.

Thanks for following the news at


Max Kausch back to top

Centre of Kathmandu (Martina Harsch).

27 August, 2010

Here is today's dispatch for and and .

It's been a very busy day of non-stop meetings. Cho Oyu leader Max Kausch and Kathmandu director Murari Sharma met with Himalayan Researcher and Chronicler extraordinaire, Miss Elizabeth Hawley at her home, to review plans for upcoming Cho Oyu, Baruntse and Ama Dablam expeditions. We also enjoyed a long discussion about the intricacies of Nepal from this fascinating woman's piercing perspective. Mingma and Yangjie Sherpa met at the office of the Mount Everest Foundation for Sustainable Development (MEFSD), together with director Murari Sharma and office manager Deha Shrestha to plan the Deboche Waterline Project, and the Engineers Without Borders Everest Bio Energy Project. Please watch this space for some very exciting developments with the MEFSD's work to help Nepali people help themselves with environmental and cultural preservation, education and health. Thanks! back to top

Mingma and Yangjie Sherpa discuss the Deboche waterline. Miss Hawley, Murari and Max (Dan Mazur).

26 August, 2010

This is the and dispatch for 26 August. Well we have finally reached Kathmandu after several days of hopping on and off planes. Cho Oyu and Ama Dablam expedition leader Max Kausch was here to greet us and we had a good talk about logistics. Simon Cahill flew in from Dubai and today and we walked up to the Monkey Temple in the early morning, a great bit of exercise to begin the day. I have attached a few photos Simon took for his website as Simon plans to lead school and company groups from the Emirates on trips to Nepal. We wish him all of the best. Thank you very much! back to top


Dipanker Buddha - 7th century, made of huge single stone. Tea shop on the street in Kathmandu. Monkey temple. On the steps of the Monkey temple (Simon Cahill).

25 August, 2010

Well, our Autumn walking, climbing, and charity/non-profit season is just beginning, and I am currently writing this dispatch from the Singapore Changi airport, where we are on our way to Nepal and Tibet. Passing through multiple airports during several days of flying and crossing the international dateline are required to enter the Himalayan Kingdom. Soon we will be looking up at Mount Everest up close and personal, together with our friendly team of men and women of all ages from around the world.

With this first dispatch, I am including our first photo. Whilst in the airport waiting for a flight, we saw a large photo of a salmon fishing boat towing a purse seine skiff. We could not help but notice that the name of the boat, emblazoned on the transom, is the same name as the town one of our offices is located in: "Lakebay". What a surprise to see this name reminding us of our roots and jogging memories about how thankful we are about everyone back at home and in the office who are working so hard to support the Himalayan teams out in the field. This photo shows one of our leaders, Dan Mazur, standing next to the boat's picture in the airport. Does anyone know who took that photo of the fishing vessel "Lakebay"? If so, please let us know, as we would surely like to thank the photographer. The photo of Dan and the poster were taken by an anonymous restaurant patron who stopped for coffee.

Thank you for following our dispatches. Please do send us your comments, questions, and ideas to and WELCOME to our 2010 Autumn expeditions! back to top

Dan in front of Lakebay fishing boat, photo at airport (Dan Mazur).

Team Roster:

  • Max Kausch (leader) - Argentina/UK
  • Ms. Nathalie Virag - Switzerland
  • Ms. Julie Lewis - UK
  • Matti Sunell - Finland
  • Paul Rizza - UK
  • Steve Ranger - UK
  • Rolf Vetter - Switzerland
  • Calin Lewis - USA
  • Michael Tomordy - UK
  • Dean Cardinale - USA
  • Mark Herbick - USA
Expedition Staff:
  • Gyalje Sherpa - climbing sherpa
  • Palden Nima Sherpa - climbing sherpa
  • Jangbu Sherpa - climbing sherpa
  • Lhakpa Gelbu Sherpa Lama - climbing sherpa
  • Tenji Sherpa - climbing sherpa
  • Samdien - cook back to top