Hello Friends of the Mountains,
This is Dan Mazur writing from peaceful and sunny Nepal. I am just back from Mount Everest and send my greetings to you, your family, friends, and colleagues. How are things? Hope you are enjoying summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the Antipodes. Will you be joining us for climbing, walking, and hiking in the Himalaya this autumn or during 2010? We invite you to read down to become a part of our friendly team of men and women of all ages from around the world who love exploring mountain paths, peaks, culture and environment.
Currently I am typing this email on the rooftop of our Kathmandu hotel. I hear horns honking and many voices of school children reciting lessons in unison. A fresh breeze blows birds and local kid's kites. There is a hint of humidity in the air and smell of steaming rice. In the distance green mountains with a few snow capped peaks poke out of clouds where light clean rain storms sprinkle the edge of the valley. My job brings me here as a Himalayan climbing expedition leader, walk and hike leader, trainer, and educational-medical mission coordinator for www.SummitClimb.com , www.SummitTrek.com , and www.ServiceTrek.org . I have been lucky enough to lead or organize more than 10 successful climbing, walking, and hiking expeditions to Everest (both base camp and summit), as well as numerous other mountains in the area during the last 18 years.
Thanks in advance for telling all of your friends and colleagues about what we are trying to do. Join together for fun and adventure in the mountains, while trying to give back to mountain communities and environments with medical service and charitable education projects. We encourage you to take advantage and book one of the presently inexpensive flights which are still available.
We had a very successful Mount Everest spring climbing and trekking season in Nepal and Tibet and are now looking forward to returning this autumn. Please read down to check all of our trips and especially the exciting new trip I am leading to 'Baruntse', challenging fun and very climb-able 7000 metre peak near Everest (includes free-of-cost climb of 'Mera-Trekking Peak'). back to top
The famous Hillary Step on the south side of Mt Everest. Richard Pattison on the summit of Mt. Everest (Richard Pattison).
HERE IS MORE RECENT NEWS:
Last week we completed a worthwhile Service Trek through beautiful green foothills near the Everest region, bringing medical-aid to a rural hospital, as well as supplies and teachers to 2 schools supporting a poverty-stricken valley with 4000 residents, surrounded by still unspoiled ancient forests and tiny terraced farms. With the help of generous donors and the efforts of www.ServiceTrekMembersFoundation.org , we brought a 14 year old Nepalese boy named Pasang Sherpa to Kathmandu to be treated for severe malnutrition and multiple broken bones, so he can have the same chance to lead a normal life that all children should have.
Our Service trek team member, Chu Trandinh, inspecting a child's ear in the health post of Patale (Ying Hsu). Our awesome June 2009 Service Trek team (Shelley Bloom). Pasang Sherpa , not able to walk under his own power. Our Service Trek team rushed him back to Kathmandu for immediate treatment (Chu Trandinh). A spectacular creek runnig near Bandar that we crossed along the trek (Chu Trandinh).
In May, Our Everest Nepal team put 5 members and 2 sherpas on the summit of Everest. We also put 3 members and 3 sherpas on the summit of Lhotse, the world's 4th highest mountain, in all safety. Places are now available for our 2010 expedition.
We were one of the few foreign teams to be granted a permit to climb Everest-Tibet this spring. 5 members and 5 sherpas reached the summit in all safety. We welcome you to join our 2010 expedition. back to top
We held our first 'Everest View Glacier School', awarded National Geographic Adventure's '25 best trips of 2009', and it was a grand success. All of our 9 member team in April and 3 members in May, comprised of men and women of all ages, reached the summit of 6200 metre/20,300 foot high 'Lobuche East' and learned excellent glacier travel, as well as rock-ice-snow climbing skills. You and friends are welcome to join our October, April, or May schools to obtain the skills needed for Everest.
This spring, our trek teams of men and women of all ages from around the world walked to Everest basecamp, hiked to the top of the scenic view ridge named Kala Pattar and some even climbed the famous "trekking-peak" known as Island Peak, achieving their objectives and had a lot of fun with a great group at the same time. We invite you to become part of the team this autumn and during 2010. back to top
Congratulations to everyone on all of the teams and thanks to their families, friends, colleagues and sponsors for their support! Please read the reports and see the photos and videos from our just completed expeditions at www.SummitClimbNews.com , www.SummitTrekNews.com and www.ServiceTrekNews.com .
NEW TRIP: I am very excited about a new climb I will personally be leading this October-November to Baruntse, one of the most exciting, climb-able, but technically challenging 7000 metre peaks in Nepal. This climb also includes the 'warm-up' climb of Mera Peak, at no extra cost. Mera Peak affords an excellent opportunity for careful acclimatization while ascending a 6500 metre 'trekking peak'. Baruntse is technical but accomplishable, an amazing high peak just next to Everest, in the heart of the Himalaya. Baruntse represents fantastic preparation for climbing Everest. It is also a great beginner climb of Nepal's easiest 7000 metre peak. Additionally, Baruntse holds some exhilarating challenges for the more advanced climber. With truly something for everyone, this expedition provides one of the most stunning treks in Nepal, as you approach the mountain through pristine forests, high passes and rugged canyons. Not only that, but climbing Baruntse qualifies you for Everest. So join us during peaceful Nepal's best weather of the year and be a part of our friendly team of men and women of all ages. Leader Dan Mazur will be leading the ascent of 6500 metre/21,300 foot Mera Peak first, followed by 7200 metre/23,600 foot Baruntse. An amazing Himalayan high altitude experience in just 38 days, including two peaks for the price of one. We teach you everything you need to know about climbing and glacier travel. www.BaruntseClimb.com : 8 October to 14 November 2009; Full Service: $6750, £4150, €4750; Basic Climb Cost: $1950, £1250, €1350. back to top
PLEASE READ DOWN FOR OUR UPCOMING TRIP SCHEDULES:
In the face of economic factors we have decided to maintain our focus on low prices and excellent service. We offer discounts for groups, medical professionals, and returning members.
All climbs feature western leaders, excellent food, the best sherpas, a comfortable individual tent for each person in basecamp and some of the finest equipment on the mountain. Our leaders are polite and friendly Himalayan experts with multiple ascents of Everest and many visits to Nepal and Tibet. Our Sherpas are kind, friendly and expertly qualified with many climbs of Everest, as well as the numerous other peaks and treks we offer. We use only the best supplies and staff to outfit our trips.
If our prices seem low, this is because we are now in our 18th year of leading climbs and treks of interesting groups of men and women from around the world. We have developed deep connections with the mountaineering agencies in Nepal and Tibet, excellent relations with the government authorities who regulate the world of mountain climbing permits, liaison officers, yak drivers, etcetera, and are fortunate to receive favourable prices and honest treatment. It is our objective to continue running affordable, safe, enjoyable and successful climbing expeditions, hikes and walks. back to top
A. This autumn 2009 I invite you to personally join me for:
1. September Cho Oyu climb to the summit of the world's 6th highest and most accessible mountain. Ideal way to get qualified for Everest. Leader Dan Mazur has led 5 Cho Oyu expeditions and 7 Everest expeditions. Join our fun team of men and women of all ages. www.ChoOyuClimb.com : 1 September to 8 October; Full Service: $10,950, £6750, €7750; Basic Climb Cost: $6550, £4050, €4650. We currently have 7 members on board, so there is room for a few more. Please send your application quickly. Thank you.
2. September Shishapangma climb to the summit of the world's lowest fourteen 8000 metre/26,000 foot peak. Located near Everest. Less crowded than Cho Oyu. Easy snow-climb. We teach you everything you need to know. Get qualified for Everest. Combine with our Cho-Oyu expedition and earn a 20 percent discount. Leader: Dan Mazur. Our 4th Shishapangma expedition. 1 September to 8 October, Full Service Cost: $10,950, £6750, €7750; Basic Climb Cost: $6550, £4050, €4650. 9-23 October (Cho Oyu combination includes 20% discount), Full Service Cost: $8750, £5350, €6150; Basic Climb Cost: $5250, £3250, €3750. www.ShishapangmaClimb.com . We currently have 4 members on board, so have room for several more. Please send your application quickly. Thank you.
3. October Baruntse climb of the most exciting 7000 metre peak in Nepal. More details mentioned above. Climbing Baruntse qualifies you for Everest. Leader Dan Mazur will be leading the ascent of 6500 metre/21,300 foot Mera Peak first, followed by 7200 metre/23,600 foot Baruntse. An amazing Himalayan high altitude experience in just 38 days, including two peaks for the price of one. We teach you everything you need to know about climbing and glacier travel. www.BaruntseClimb.com : 8 October to 14 November; Full Service: $6750, £4150, €4750; Basic Climb Cost: $1950, £1250, €1350.
4. Or just do Mera Peak: www.MeraPeakClimb.com : 8-29 October; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950. Leader Dan Mazur, 2 Mera Peak climbs.
5. 'Everest View Glacier School', awarded National Geographic Adventures '25 best trips of 2009', in October. Great group of men and women of all ages. Get the skills you need for Everest. www.EverestGlacierSchool.com : 7-28 October; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950; Seven day option: $1050. Learn glacier travel and rope technique from Everest leaders, then summit a 6,000 metre / 19,700 foot peak. Leader Raj Thapa, British mountain leader, 3 Everest View Glacier Schools.
6. www.IslandPeakClimb.com : 7-28 October; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950; 5 day option: $950. Nepal's famous 'trekking peak'. Climb to 6,000 metres / 19,700 feet in just one day. Includes a trek to Everest basecamp and scenic view ridge of Kala Pattar. Leader Raj Thapa, 10 Island Peak climbs. back to top
7. www.TrekEverestNepal.com : 7-24 October; Full Service: $1850, £1150, €1350. Walk to Nepal's most famous and beautiful basecamp first climbed by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Sherpa; hike the scenic view ridge of Kala Pattar, with stunning views of Everest. Leader Raj Thapa, 15 Everest Basecamp Treks.
8. www.ServiceTrek.org : 14-27 November; Contribution: $1450, £850, €1050 (100% of your contribution for the trek and your international flight are tax deductible). We are going on a hospital aid and school teaching expedition in November to help poor families living near Everest help themselves. Would you like to join our team of men and women of all ages? Leader: Dan Mazur. His 10th Service Trek, and he knows the valleys we walk very well.
9. www.ChoOyuTrek.com : 1-18 September; Full Service Cost: $2750, £1750, €1950. Trek to Cho Oyu, the world's sixth highest & most accessible 8000 metre/26,200 foot peaks, near the historic Nangpa La, great high altitude trekking on good snow-free trails. Leader: Dan Mazur.
10. www.ShishapangmaTrek.com : 1-18 September; Full Service Cost: $2750, £1750, €1950. Trek to Shishapangma, the world's 14th highest 8000 metre/26,200 foot peak, enjoy the incredible beauty of the Tibetan Plateau, and walk to a very high altitude on good snow-free trails providing stunning views of surrounding high peaks of the Himalaya. Leader: Dan Mazur.
Plane tickets are still available for our autumn trips, but you must book them now to get the best deals. Please let me know if you need any help finding inexpensive flights. back to top
B. It's time to sign up for our spring, summer and autumn 2010 Himalayan climbs and walks:
1. www.EverestNepalClimb.com : 30 March to 6 June, 2010; Full Service Cost: $27,750, £17,050, €19,550; Basic Climb Cost: $15,350, £9450, €10,850. Climb to the summit of the world's highest peak from Nepal. Original first ascent route made famous by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Sherpa. Leader: Dan Mazur, 7 Everest expeditions.
2. www.EverestTibetClimb.com : 30 March to 6 June, 2010; Full Service: $23,450, £14,450, €16,550; Basic Climb Cost: $8450, £5250, €5950. Climb to the summit of the world's highest peak from Tibet. Less expensive than Nepal, made famous by Mallory and Irvine in 1928! Leader: Dan Mazur, 7 Everest expeditions.
A beautiful sunrise cresting over the summit of Everest (Tunc Findik). A view of the famous second step on the north side of Mt. Everest (Franck Pitula).
3. Pre-Everest mountain meet in France: 27 February-6 March, 2010. Meet is free of cost, no charge. Place your name on the sign-up roster. A week of fun skiing-boarding and summit climbing in France. Meet our Everest leaders including Dan Mazur. Welcome to men and women of all ages. Accommodation cost is $450, £300, €350 for the week, which includes accommodation and two meals a day. If you wish to join, please book now, as the trip fills up quite rapidly.
4. www.LhotseClimb.com : 30 March to 6 June, 2010; Full Service: $10,950, £6750, €7750; Basic Climb Cost: $3950, £2450, €2750. World's 4th highest mountain, Climbed from the same route as Everest-Nepal! Leader: Dan Mazur, 3 Lhotse expeditions. back to top
5. www.ChoOyuClimb.com : 22 April to 29 May or 31 August to 7 October 2010; Full Service: $10,950, £6750, €7750; Basic Climb Cost: $6550, £4050, €4650. 6th highest in the world and perhaps the best way to see if you are ready for Everest. Leader Dan Mazur, 4 Cho Oyu expeditions.
6. www.Lhakpa-Ri.com and www.North-Col.com : 30 March to 26 April, and 29 April to 26 May, 2010; Full Service: $6750, £4150, €4750; Basic Climb Cost: $4950, £3050, €3450. World's easiest way to reach 7,000 metres / 23,000 feet in a short time, on the shoulder of Everest. Leader: Dan Mazur 4 North-Col expeditions.
7. www.EverestGlacierSchool.com : 30 March-20 April, 1-22 May, or 7-28 October, 2010; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950; Seven day option: $1050. Learn glacier and mountain climbing skills, see how it feels to go to 6000 metres, just next to Everest. Leader: Raj Thapa, 3 glacier schools.
8. www.IslandPeakClimb.com : 30 March-20 April, 1-22 May, or 7-28 October, 2010; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950; 5 day option: $950. Leader: Raj Thapa, 15 Island Peak climbs.
9. www.TrekEverestNepal.com : 30 March to 16 April, 1-18 May, or 7-24 October, 2010; Full Service: $1850, £1250, €1450. The famous walk to Everest basecamp first climbed by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Sherpa, also hike Kala-Pattar ridge with stunning views of Everest itself. Leader: Raj Thapa, 20 Everest-treks.
10. www.TrekEverestTibet.com : 30 March to 18 April or 29 April to 18 May, 2010; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950. Walk the 'golden highway' to Everest advanced basecamp at 6,400 metres / 21,000 feet, made famous by Mallory and Irvine in 1928. The Tibet side has the best views, better than Nepal. Leader: Dan Mazur, 10 Everest-treks. back to top
11. www.ServiceTrek.org : 4-17 June or 14-27 November 2010; Contribution: $1450, £850, €1050 (100% of your contribution for the trek and your international flight are tax deductible. More Information above. Leader: Dan Mazur, 10 Service Treks.
12. www.BaruntseClimb.com : 8 October to 14 November 2010; Full Service: $6750, £4150, €4750; Basic Climb Cost: $1950, £1250, €1350. Leader Dan Mazur.
13. www.MeraPeakClimb.com : 8-29 October 2010; Full Service: $2750, £1750, €1950. Leader Dan Mazur, 2 Mera-Peak Climbs.
14. www.MustagataClimb.com : 19 June to 12 July or 17 July to 9 August 2010; Full Service: $4450, £2750, €3150; Basic Climb Cost: $1850, £1150, €1350. Walk, climb, ski, snowboard, snowshoe, and snow-raquette to the summit and down. Mustagata is the world's easiest 7500 metre / 24,600 foot peak, and a brilliant introduction to very high altitude. 4 have joined for each trip. Leader: Jon Otto. His 11th Mustagata climb. back to top
15. www.KiliTrek.com and www.KenyaClimb.com . In August and February. Also a custom trip in September. Come on and join in. Trip organised by Felix Berg, who is an old Africa hand. Felix' family lives locally in Africa and they do a great job.
* Kilimanjaro, 1-9 August or 28 February-8 March (9 days): Cost $2680, £1650, €1850.
* Mt. Kenya trek or optional rock climb, 13-20 August or 9 March-15 March (8 days): Cost $1250, £850, €950.
* Safari (2-4 days): Amboseli (2 days): $650 USD, Serengeti (4 days): $1200 USD
* Combine all 3 and save, 28 February-18 March or 1-20 August (20 days): a) $4250 (with Amboseli safari), b) $4850 (with Serengeti safari)
16. Aconcagua: www.AconcaguaSummitClimb.com . The highest peak in all the Americas. An 'easy' walk/scramble to the top. We teach you everything you need to know. Test yourself at high-altitude and get qualified for Everest. 1-20 February. Full Service Cost: $3250, £2050, €2350. back to top
The time is here to register and pay for your trips. Payment and all application materials we need from you:
1. completed application (4 pages);
Climbing application: www.summitclimbapplication.com
Trekking application: www.summittrekapplication.com
Service Trek application: www.servicetrekapplication.org
2. passport photocopy/scan;
3. proof of insurance;
4. personal sherpa order (where applicable);
5. oxygen order (where applicable);
6. full payment;
7. flight information with arrival time, date, airline, flight number.
D. We now accept credit cards, cheques, and bank transfers for your entire payment. Please visit www.SummitClimbPayment.com , www.SummitTrekPayment.com and www.ServiceTrekMembersFoundation.org for further information.
E. We do offer discounts of 5% for groups of 2-3, 10% for 4-8, and 15% for 9+. We offer a 10% medical practitioner's discount and ten percent for www.LeaderInTraining.com and a 10% certified guide's discount. We also offer 5% discounts for returning members and provide a 5% commission paid in cash for each new member you bring us. We also offer basic options for those on a budget!
F. Want to become a mountain leader? Please check out www.LeaderInTraining.com .
G. Plane tickets are still available, if you hurry. Return flights from UK-Kathmandu-UK are 550 pounds, 650 euros, $900 USD. Return flights from USA-Kathmandu-USA are $1500 USD. Feel free to call or email if you need us to assist with the above fares. back to top
H. How is your training going? We want you to be in great shape for the climb and have a personal trainer who consults via email and he is a real pro by the name of Ben Palmer. Send us an email with your training inquiry and we will forward it onto Ben for his advice.
I. What have we forgotten? Please express yourself now, and communicate all of your thoughts, questions, and ideas. It is very important that we build another top team this year by working together, beginning today. We always enjoy discussing our favourite subject: MOUNTAINS. Also, this kind of conversation may help us to understand one another's expectations.
Thanks for reading this and telling all of your friends and colleagues at your local shop or gym.
Best wishes to you and your family, colleagues, and friends during 2009. Thank you very much. back to top
High Altitude Regards-Dan Mazur
- find me on facebook, plaxo, linkedin, twitter
- skype: SummitClimb OR SummitTrek
- +44 (0)7810375400 (evenings are best)
- 184 Bishop Road, Bristol, BS7 8NB, England
- POB 123, Lakebay, Wa, 98349
Ps. Congratulations on reaching the bottom of this newsletter, you must have the perseverance and patience it takes to climb, walk, and hike in the high mountains.
PPs. If you do not wish to receive these newsletters, please reply with the word “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. Thanks. back to top