Mera Peak Climbing Expedition Question & Answer Section
- A) How do I join and prepare for this trip?
- Raising Funds and Sponsorship
- 1. You can raise funds by finding members for our expeditions. When you refer members to us, who join our teams, we send you a cash commission as a "Thank You" for your efforts. If you were able to send us numerous people during any calendar year, you could earn upwards of $30,000, £15,500 (GBP), €24,690 (Euro).
2. We offer discounts for groups if you have any friends who wish to join us:
5% discount for groups of 2-3
10% discount for groups of 4-6
3. You could sell small items such as embroidered ties, screen-printed t-shirts, embroidered caps, embroidered day-sacks, embroidered jackets, emblazoned tea-mugs, tie-tacks, cufflinks, earrings, etcetera. Two former and current expedition members have been logo-designers and professional screen-printers and embroiderers for many years. They are Scott and Becky, and their email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org A KEY FACTOR in this kind of fund-raising is the cost of producing the items. You should obtain costs and prices for production in Britain, Europe, the States, and Nepal. For example, the cost of producing 100 embroidered cotton "T-shirts" per item in Britain might be 5 pounds each, but in Kathmandu it would be just 2 pounds. Plan carefully how you will be marketing these items before ordering them.
4. Hosting a fundraising lecture, dance, concert, play, ball, race, car wash, or other event in your community. Many of our past and current members have used these methods. During the above events, additional funds can be raised with auctions and raffles of donated outdoor mountain equipment, etc;
5. Doing charity non-profit fundraising as part of fundraising for your team-membership. This is one of the most common ways to raise funds, and your team-membership can become a very valuable way to raise funds for important and needed charities and non profits;
6. Finding a corporate sponsor to offset costs and provide equipment in return for marketing and name recognition. This may be one large sponsor, or it might be several smaller ones. These sponsors often like to see their logo sewn on clothing, screenprinted on tents, mentioned in media stories, advertising, etc;
7. Organizing an "expedition-support-trek" to accompany you on the expedition. This can be a popular way to raise funds where the donors have an exciting experience, and you "add-on" a bit to cover your own costs and perhaps also an included donation to a selected charity;
8. Leading donors on walks, climbs, and outings in your local mountains and hills. Often overlooked, these local outings with donors may be a good way for them to get involved, meet you personally, and can be given as gifts to friends, etcetera.
9. We do provide assistance with managing funds your sponsors provide. It is often the case that a large sponsor will not pay you the funds directly, rather, they insist the funds be sent to us. Perhaps they are concerned that the monies might be used incorrectly if they were sent to you, so sending the money to us ensures that funds are used only for the expedition. Whatever the case, in case your sponsor has "overpaid" us, by sending more monies than are required, we can reimburse you by posting you a cheque, making a deposit into an account you designate, etcetera.
- How shall I join the team? Request information and application materials.
- Is this a guided trip?
- What sort of experience should I have?
- What sort of training should I pursue if I join the expedition?
- Where should I purchase my equipment?
- When must I decide?
- May I join this expedition as an individual?
- May I bring my friends, family, colleagues, and clients with me on this trip?
- What sort of contact will I have with the team before the trip?
- What will the weather and temperature be like?
- How shall I organize my visa?
- Which vaccinations and immunizations will I need?
- How shall I pay?
- What if I decide to cancel my membership?
- Is there a chance this trip will be cancelled?
- What is your refund policy?
- B) Who are the leaders, sherpas, and staff?
- C) Who are the members?
- D) What the cost includes.
- E) Details of the itinerary, route, and weather.
- F) What qualifications, experience, fitness, & training do I need?
- G) Personal & team equipment and what I need to bring.
- H) Flying from home country, welcome to Kathmandu.
- I) Insurance and safety.
- J) Where do we stay and what shall we eat?
- K) Communications and electronics for Island Peak.