Team skiing in Parc Vanois (Dan Mazur).
- Get a chance to meet our Everest leaders, including Dan Mazur and Arnold Coster.
- Two fun weeks of fun skiing-boarding, touring and glacier climbing in the French Alps.
- First week will be in Tignes and the second week in Chamonix. We plan to experience as much of the French Alps as possible in a short amount of time.
- Join for 1 week or both! Meet is free of cost, no charge.
- Must be proficient with using ice-axe, crampons and rope, as well as intermediate off-piste (backcountry) skier or boarder.
- Welcome to men and women of all ages.
- We help you buy and rent inexpensive mountain climbing, trekking, hiking, and walking gear, equipment, clothing, boots, shoes for sale, purchase and hire at affordable, cheap, low prices.
- Dates: 25 February-10 March, 2012 & 2013.
- Accommodation Cost: $75, £45, €50 per day, which includes hotels and two meals a day.
Would you like to join us for a glacier travel, skiing, snow-shoeing, snow racquetting, snow boarding, crevasse rescue, ice climbing, and snow-camping session for a week during February and March? It is a good way for you to meet with some of our Everest expedition leaders, including Daniel Mazur, and learn and hone your glacier travel, ice climbing, skiing and snow shoeing/racquetting skills. You can also test some of the equipment we use in the Himalaya too.
We are planning to do 1 week in Tignes and a second week in Chamonix.
Tignes - week 1: 26 February - 5 March: Skiing-boarding snowshoeing, racquetting on and off-piste around the Tignes Valley, including optional ascent-descent of 3750 metre/12,300 foot Mont Grande Sassiere www.tinyurl.com/Grande-Sassiere . Tignes powder is legendary, due to the high altitude of this world-class ski centre. Here is the lodge where we will be staying: www.ChaletChardons.com .
Chamonix - week 2: 6-12 March: Skiing-boarding snowshoeing and climbing around the world famous Chamonix Valley, including high altitude glacier-tours and winter training:
- Vallee Blanche: big mountain ambience and intermediate skiing with an incredible cable car ride.
- Cosmiques Ridge. Moderate climb up a snow rock ridge, very popular.
- Chere Couloir: beautiful 6 pitch ice climb.
- The Tacul: climb and ski/board this 4000 metre/13,100 foot peak after an amazing cable car ride.
Experience note: members need to be an intermediate off-piste (backcountry) skiier, or intermediate off-piste (backcountry) boarder. No beginners. Sorry, but if members can't ski or snowboard, this is not the trip for you. We will try to do some high mountain ski and split-board touring in the national parks, so members need to be familiar with climbing skins, touring, etcetera. We also hope to do a bit of mountaineering and ice climbing, so members need to be proficient at that and have the correct equipment as well.
Equipment note: The equipment needed for this trip is nearly the same as that for our Mustagata Expedition. Please review the Mustagata Personal Equipment list to make sure you have everything for this exciting trip and please let us know if you have any questions.
Registration note: If you wish to go, please book with us now now, as the trip fills up rapidly! This is a free trip, where members pay for their own accommodations and meals. We do not make any commissions and run this trip because we enjoy meeting new friends, seeing old friends, and climbing and skiing/boarding together.
For US members, please fill out and submit the US Members Glacier form . For members from all other countries, please fill out the International Members Glacier form . (photo right by Squash Falconer: Team members skiing in the French Alps).
Skiing on a perfect blue sky day (Jon Otto).